Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to run in Cork?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I am starting C25K this week and living in Grange.I am looking for somewhere that will be easy on the legs for the first couple of weeks.Last time I tried it I was running the hills around here and they were not my friend which is why I think I gave up.Would really love to keep going this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Don't know of any good routes in Grange area but several options if you're willing to drive a little first:
    If you head down the Rochestown road and park near Harty's Quay, you have two options, both on paths well off the roads. You can go left and do a loop around by Blackrock Castle and the marina, but this would be too long for your C25k training I think. The other option is to go in opposite direction, down to Hop Island Equestrian centre entraance (just down from Harty's Quay towards passage west) and there's a path there all the way down to Passage West. This would be an out-and back route rather than a loop, but might suit your training to start with. It's a tarmac path, and lots of runners/ walkers use it so it's grand and safe. It's completely flat.
    One other option would be the UCC farm, out near Curraheen Greyhound stadium. It's basically three grass pitches and used by lot of runners and would give you an alternative to running entirely on roads.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

Thanks for the replies Corkie100 and rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,832 ✭✭✭nerd69

i used to do the route down by blackrock castle but i run late enough and there are no lights there. do ye have any other routes ye would recommend that are off of roads. (i only need a short distance 9k or so)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

In the opposite direction, it's some kip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

Hi themom,
    I also live in Grange and at least we should always be safe from flooding :-). As Corkie100 has posted Hartys Quay is your best bet during the day. If you go from the car park to Passage and back it's 5 miles, going the other way the car park to Pairc Ui Chaoimh and back is around 4 miles. Another option is down towards PUC but go up to your right by the old station house which brings you up onto Blackrock Road then down through Blackrock village up to the castle then around Jacob Island to get back to the car park. This route includes a couple of hills (nothing major) and is also 5 miles. If you go to PUC then down The Marina to Blackrock village then proceed as before to the castle and Jacobs Island and back to the car park it is 6.6 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

Hi themom,
    I also live in Grange and at least we should always be safe from flooding :-). As Corkie100 has posted Hartys Quay is your best bet during the day. If you go from the car park to Passage and back it's 5 miles, going the other way the car park to Pairc Ui Chaoimh and back is around 4 miles. Another option is down towards PUC but go up to your right by the old station house which brings you up onto Blackrock Road then down through Blackrock village up to the castle then around Jacobs Island to get back to the car park. This route includes a couple of hills (nothing major) and is also 5 miles. If you go to PUC then down The Marina to Blackrock village then proceed as before to the castle and Jacobs Island and back to the car park it is 6.6 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

I'm also doing c25k. I live in Donnybrook so feel your pain. Every direction from my place is hills.

Advertisement