Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAD Lamps

Options
  • 27-10-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi, I've recently been depressed and with winter coming I always seem to suffer more with it. I was wondering if you have ever tried these lamps and if they work?
    ( SAD= seasonal affective disorder )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

they are supposed to work I would get one if I knew what they were called and where to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Yeah, I have one. There is a lot of science behind the idea and they are supposed to work. The brightness is harsh to your eyes after just waking up though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭The Darkroom

Hi I saw them at brighterdays.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hi, I've recently been depressed and with winter coming I always seem to suffer more with it. I was wondering if you have ever tried these lamps and if they work?

Yes.
    My OH suffers with SAD.
    The lamp works ..you have to have it on while your doING other things...reading etc.
    It provides the same type of light that you get from being out in the sun.
    best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

I don't have SAD and this isn't the same thing, but I find using this in winter really improves my mood throughout the day.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HF3520-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation/dp/B0093162RM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414442584&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+wake+up+light

Expensive, but totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Many names for them; http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seasonal-affective-disorder/in-depth/seasonal-affective-disorder-treatment/art-20048298

Throw the words sun lamp alarm clock into Amazon, but do your research on the brands, as some are, well, alarm clocks, but a lot of the sun alarm clock makers also do sun lamps for those affected by SAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I may look into one of these. I always find myself feeling a bit melancholy during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

download f.lux for your PC also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

buy yourself a decent grow tent, install some HPS bulbs and plant some seeds, make some serious cash while keeping the winter blues away in your tropical climate surrounded by a sea of green :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Overheal wrote: »
    download f.lux for your PC also
    As a f.lux user, I wholeheartedly endorse this statement! :D
    For those who don't know, f.lux is a nifty little program designed to reducted the contrast and saturation settings on your monitor, switching from so-called "blue light" to softer, more eye-friendly "yellow light".
    More info on the website: f.lux

As for actual SAD lamps, I've never used a proper one meself but I've had great success with a sister product known as a Salt Lamp.
    Like f.lux, they work on the principal that low, yellow light is better for your eyes and naturally induces calmness. Worth a shot anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I use to have a bearded dragon and you need a UV light (long fluorescent bulb) for them and it was timed to turn off at 10pm so when the early evenings use to start I'd leave the house lights off and just that light would be on in the living room and add to that there would also be live crickets chirping it was so bloody relaxing. It definitely has an effect on your mood. If you are buying one I wouldn't bother with any expensive crap off the internet, just go to a petshop and buy a fluorescent fixture (about €30 and is adjustable in length) and a full spectrum fluorescent bulb(striplight) that gives light in UVB wavelengths for €10-€15 (depending on the lenght) and screw the thing to the wall behind a couch or something(it even comes with brackets), some fixtures come with a built in timer but if not you can get one in Tescos for about a fiver and set it to come on for a few hours at 5 pm. It will have the exact same effect as any product you see advertised as specifically for the problem but will probably be a lot cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

I'm just gonna move to spain.

I ****ING HATE WINTER. Except for halloween.

Advertisement