Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting automatic to manual, do i need to inform RSA / revenue?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

My sister gave me her old car which has a busted automatic transmission.
    I'm going to have it converted to manual, but do I need to inform anyone of this? I was told that I may need to inform the RSA or revenue, but I haven't a clue as it's a first car.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If I'm not mistaken, the transmission type is recorded on the registration documents, so you might have to send something to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I'm going to have it converted to manual, but do I need to inform anyone of this? I was told that I may need to inform the RSA or revenue, but I haven't a clue as it's a first car.
    Thanks!
    A big enough job. New pedals/linkages, possibly driveshaft issues, wiring loom, ancillary part locations etc.

Check it all out before buying a manual gearbox.

It might be a lot easier/cheaper to source a good secondhand automatic gearbox, or even to have the existing one repaired.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

the decision on weather this job would be worth it would be based on what age and type the car is.... OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

It's an 02 semi-auto Corsa, it's been quoted a reasonable price but it'll be confirmed over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's an 02 semi-auto Corsa, it's been quoted a reasonable price but it'll be confirmed over the next couple of days.

Sounds like a complete waste of time and effort on a worthless car. Just sell it for scrap and put that towards funding something less rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn't that car have a manual box in it already (with shifters to change gear and a clutch actuator) ? As in it mightn't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

+1.

I think it's a standard manual box with an automatic actuator. It could be the case of fitting a pedal box and clutch cable. There could even be a kit for the job as there were in Megane's of the same vintage

And Fiat Seicento!

From doing a quick google it looks doable without swapping the actual gearbox itself.

May be wiring implications but mechanically shouldn't be impossible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Thanks!
    might be no harm to mention to insurance co ,cos if these cutns can find a way out of paying for a claim .....they will find it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement