Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a change...

Options
  • 27-10-2014 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

So, my current Starkey S Series IQ Mini's are 3 years old, and I'm thinking it might be time for a change. They are still working OK, but do have the odd hissy every now and again. Plus, the technology would now be old compared to whats out there at the moment.

I've had my eye on these for a week or so and would like some opinions from anyone who has them at the moment. Like, are they worth the money compared to standard non bluetooth models? How reliable is the bluetooth stream? Sound quality etc...

http://www.starkey.co.uk/starkey-products/product-overview/browse-by-style/made-for-iphone

Thanks in advance... :)

Edit: On a side note, would people buy second hand hearing aids? Mine are not locked to any company or health service, so could be reprogrammed for anyone...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder how much the bluetooth saps the battery?

Also, the hissing thing; is it only when using the telecoil, or in general? Also, what phone do you use? An iPhone or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

From reading a few reviews, the there isn't much difference in the way of battery life. But, some users are complaining about not being able to keep a constant connection between phone and aids. This alone would be enough to put me off them and just stick to a regular neck loop and telecoil setup.

I meant my aids throw hissy fits every now and again. Random program changes etc. Mine have touch panels rather than physical switches/ buttons, so maybe just a quick service with the audiologist would sort them out until I decide what I'm doing about changing them. I'm going to need something a little more powerful soon anyway... Unfortunately. :(

Lardy wrote: »
    From reading a few reviews, the there isn't much difference in the way of battery life. But, some users are complaining about not being able to keep a constant connection between phone and aids. This alone would be enough to put me off them and just stick to a regular neck loop and telecoil setup.
    Doesn't sound good. Perhaps look at phones that have a proper tcoil in them? I remember the older Nokia phones had a tcoil option, and it was effing awesome, as I'd hear the caller very clear. Not sure about current phones, but from my earlier link, it seems they have to sell at least 8 of their phone models with the tcoil system.
    I meant my aids throw hissy fits every now and again. Random program changes etc. Mine have touch panels rather than physical switches/ buttons, so maybe just a quick service with the audiologist would sort them out until I decide what I'm doing about changing them. I'm going to need something a little more powerful soon anyway... Unfortunately. :(
    Ah. I've a widex aid with the one button to cycle through the different programs. I'd get that problem looked at.

Regarding your earlier query about people buying the 2nd hand aids, maybe. The internal ones I'd mostly doubt it, as some hearing aids are not easy to take out of the mould. The external ones, probably.

So I went to see my Audiologist and had the aids looked at. Turned out it was only a program issue so happy with that. :)
    Tweaked my main program to add a bit more Gain and the difference is very good. Peoples voices don't sound so tinny as they did before. (Especially woman's voices)
    I had 3 new programs added for the car, music and outdoors... I'm finding that I'm using the music program for pretty much all situations as it seems to be great for everything.

I've also switched from normal tubes and moulds to Life Tubes and domes. The domes are so much more comfortable! However, I need open domes but Starkey sent me out closed domes. Now I have to take my aids out every hour or so to let my ears dry out! Should have the open domes in a few days. They are taking a little getting used to, but they do feel great!

I had 3 new programs added for the car, music and outdoors... I'm finding that I'm using the music program for pretty much all situations as it seems to be great for everything.
    Yup! Have a program that filters background noise, 50/50 normal/t-coil, and music. Use the music one most of the time, bar in work where I use the program that filters some of the background noise, and the 50/50 so I can use one of these type of headphones to hear music perfectly, and still hear what's happening around me. Great to use on planes!

• Advertisement

I sold you those ear hooks! :P

I sold you those ear hooks! :P
    :o Using that pair for work, and getting a 2nd pair for out and about. What did you upgrade to yourself?

Advertisement