Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scotland jobs and accommodation

Options
  • 26-10-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend what are the best websites for jobs and rental accommodation in Scotland? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

I'd suggest s1jobs.com monster.co.uk for the job hunting & gumtree or spareroom.co.uk for a flat search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

ladiee24 wrote: »
    I'd suggest s1jobs.com monster.co.uk for the job hunting & gumtree or spareroom.co.uk for a flat search

Thanks ladiee.

I see your "Location" is Edinburgh. Can you offer any advice on what areas should be avoided, if any, re: accommodation?

I've been told postcodes in Glasgow to search in were G42 and G73.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I'd also put a word in for indeed.co.uk. However sometimes it's better just to find companies in your area you're interested in and look at their websites as smaller/medium and even large companies don't always use job sites. S1 jobs can actually be a bit overly dominated by low paid hourly work in the hotel/restaurant/admin sectors and isn't great for more 'skilled' jobs I find.

Renting wise I find gumtree to be better than spare room if you're flat sharing but avoid both if you're trying to get a flat to yourself and use zoopla.

The only areas of Edinburgh I'd avoid are Sighthill, Muirhouse, Niddrie, Wester Hailes, Pilton and Craigmillar. A handful of streets in Leith at the foot of Leith Walk are also a bit crap but are very obvious but on the whole I love Leith with all the cool bars/restaurants/shops/parks etc. Otherwise everywhere is fine to live in really. Basically the south-east and south-west corners of the city are the least attractive to live

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I moved to Edinburgh about a month and a half ago and I've been finding that for IT work at least, there isn't really any one site that you can use by itself - there's a lot of cross-pollination across various job directory sites, so you end up finding different listings for the same jobs (if more than one agency is recruiting for the same post). It's a bit tiresome but it seems that making sure you've got an up-to-date profile on various sites (I've had a couple of bites a piece from LinkedIn, CVLibrary and UKStaffSearch, for example) means you're more likely to be found by recruiters for posts.

As far as where to live, I'd second what NoCrackHaving posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

NoCraicHaving hits the nail on the head for bad areas.
    But I have to say I wouldn't be a fan of living in The Old Town either due to noise etc.

If you get onto Gumtree you'll be laughing, you get alot of rent & bills for £xxx per month so you know exactly what you are getting.

You also can argue with them on the reference charges ( I wasn't aware of that and only found out on here about 3 years aftwerwards!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

totally missed all the replies!! what bad boardie I am!!

I find indeed too hard to search & like the search function on S1 but of course each to their own. LinkedIn's job search function is getting better too.

I also agree with NoCrackHaving and razorblunt about the bad areas. I think Edinburgh is small enough to know when you are in a bad location. Postcodes aren't that great to search by for example Merchiston very well to do area is EH11 but so is Sighthill one of the parts of the city to avoid. I've lived in Gorgie, Craiglockhart & moving to Dalry soon. Gorgie has some bad streets too but like Leith you know where to avoid it's obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

IMO i think edinburgh is a very safe city and id live anywhere in it , i can only compare it to dublin tho. the jobcentre plus website can be good for jobs too . its basically there version of fas.ie

Advertisement