Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interpals .net

Options
  • 26-10-2014 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am very worried about the penpal site interpals . net. My 13 year old daughter joined it for help with her French but she was bombarded with requests for sex from disgusting rotten middle aged to elderly perverted men. I have contacted the gardai and minister James Reilly about this site but nothing has been done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Shift?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

I am very worried about the penpal site interpals . net. My 13 year old daughter joined it for help with her French but she was bombarded with requests for sex from disgusting rotten middle aged to elderly perverted men. I have contacted the gardai and minister James Reilly about this site but nothing has been done.

better inform them that the whole internet is a breeding ground for perverts and just keep your little girl offline as long as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

and? it;s the internet, predators are on the net, that's why you as a parent filters everything the child sees.................................................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

don't worry op, once they've figured out a way to tax such websites, the French, penfriends and writing, the world will be a much safer place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I have contacted the gardai and minister James Reilly about this site

Hahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Better call the Paedophile Hunter OP. Maybe get Catfish involved too if they're lying paedophiles (the worst kind of nonce).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Hey, if anyone wants sex from boards, I will request it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

That website, much like this one, is moderated by volunteers.

You should report the accounts you are concerned about to them.

Tell them you have informed the relevant authorities while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Register, post once on a vital issue and choose AH? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can use various tools to block access to undesirable sites for your daughter. OpenDNS for example. This will only work from your home.
    You should also have a sit down and explain to her the dangers of people contacting her over the internet as tbh there is no way you can protect her 24/7.

The Parenting forum may have more suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I am very worried about the penpal site interpals . net. My 13 year old daughter joined it for help with her French but she was bombarded with requests for sex from disgusting rotten middle aged to elderly perverted men.

I was just quoting the Lady Marmalade song. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Why would you let your daughter on such a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 realistic anorak

I had a swiss penpal back in 1989, her name was Helga Zimmerlin. I got bored after 3 letters and didn't write back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Ah relax French is harmless. It's just a sultry and seductive language. J'adore le pain grille a la plage au bord de la mer a la campagne avec la pamplemouse. See absolute ring talk but it sounds sexy as hell.

Relax OP they're probably only telling your daughter what they had for breakfast after they milked the cows for the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Well it's a site for meeting people, even the name suggests that. So ye that's bound to happen, it's up to you to protect her from that stuff.

We've come along ways from St. martins magazine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I feel your pain, imagine the shock I had when I discovered xhamster wasn't a place to find out about furry friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

OP, are the people contating your daughter aware of her age? If so, that's bloody awful. The internet can be a fantastic tool but young children should not be on the net without adult supervision...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Subtle advertising for sex chat site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

osarusan wrote: »
    Subtle advertising for sex chat site?

With 13 year olds? Why dont you take a seat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Un Croissant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Everything the french say is sex related. Keep your daughter far away from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

13? Well she isn't supposed to be on it.

It's from 16 years up. I've used that site and met one of my best mates on it. Like any site on the internet it's got it's upsides and downsides.

You can select or deselect what countries you receive messages from, what sex your penpals are and what age they are.

There is absolutely nothing the Gardai or James Reilly will or can do about this issue. Stop letting your daughter mess about on the internet and actually check what she is doing and read the terms of service on websites she uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Ou est le centre de George Pompidou?

De durrty bollixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Welcome to the internet. I see you're new to it. Let me show you around. To your left, you see perverts. To your right you will see some more perverts. In front of you are more perverts. And over there are some cute cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

and? it;s the internet, predators are on the net, that's why you as a parent filters everything the child sees.................................................................

The kid is 13 not 3. Most 13 year olds probably know a hell of a lot more about the workings of PC's then their parents.

I upset a friend of mine when she said she monitored everything her 14 year old did online, even had the password to her facebook account. She was quite shocked when I pointed out that it probably wasn't her "real" account.

To me the internet is like a having a deep swimming pool in your back garden. You can fence it off and hope the kids don't get in or you can teach them how to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have you considered rigging up your own Bat-signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

The kid is 13 not 3. Most 13 year olds probably know a hell of a lot more about the workings of PC's then their parents.

I upset a friend of mine when she said she monitored everything her 14 year old did online, even had the password to her facebook account. She was quite shocked when I pointed out that it probably wasn't her "real" account.

To me the internet is like a having a deep swimming pool in your back garden. You can fence it off and hope the kids don't get in or you can teach them how to swim.

Kid only has as much access as the parents allow. They only have access to whatever technology the parents allow.

When I say filter. I mean have a look at what the child does online. The sites they use and some of the messages they receive, and of course while doing this, teach the kid.

My post in particular was because she expected the garda to do something, when it's well in her control to do it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Sounds to me like instead of contacting James O Reilly and The Gardaí you should sit said 13yr old down and explain the dangers of the internet. Lets face it mama is not going to be there of every minute of every day and as she gets older she is going to be on the net. If she were more prepared for what "could" happen then she might just avoid dangerous situations rather than wrapping her up in cotton wool and blindfolding her incase she might see or hear something untoward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Welcome to the internet. I see you're new to it. Let me show you around. To your left, you see perverts. To your right you will see some more perverts. In front of you are more perverts. And over there are some cute cats.

Lmao. Too funny. Too true!

• Advertisement
Advertisement