Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back Childrens allowance for over 18s ?

Options
  • 26-10-2014 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

5 years ago child Benefit was abolished for 18 year old children, Now that the financial situation has improved is it time to have it reinstated ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Absolutely ****ing not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

No. It's past time to pay some swathes of society NOT to have children: serious money so that we don't get 13 year olds in €100 euro cars killing law abiding citizens. Pay them more not to have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

5 years ago child Benefit was abolished for 18 year old children, Now that the financial situation has improved is it time to have it reinstated ?

For adult children still in college/further education/training up until the age of 21/22 - yes, means test it.

Otherwise, no. 18 is the cut off point imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes......but only because my kids will both turn 18 in the next two years!

My mother would also like to get it for me......can it be backdated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

In Germany you get child allowance up to the age of 25 if your child is in full time education and doesnt have a job. I think at least you should get child allowance until your child Finish's secondary school ,which is often when the child is 19 now.

Before the usual children is a choice and why should I have to pay for choice BS. It's important that people have plenty of children in Ireland. Without having children we will have skill shortages in years to come and it could possibly damage the economy like Germans growing skill shortage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes, as soon as we look like edging back in to the black, we should definitely start throwing all the money at people again.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

For adult children still in college/further education/training up until the age of 21/22 - yes, means test it.

Otherwise, no. 18 is the cut off point imo.

Better to give it directly to students through reduced fees or increased grants rather than as mickey money to their parents......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd love to see something for parents of college going children, its more expensive than when they are small. My eldest's will end the month she leaves school, some of her friends are already 18 so have been cut off which is mad seeing as they are no cheaper for their parents than my child is. When I was in college my parents got it until 22 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What's wrong with them working?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When it was introduced in 1944 it was only paid for the third child and subsequent children. That could be the best system in future. Both parents when they are embarking on parenthood should make sure that they can support the children financially, without resort to taxpayers money.

If they can demonstrate that, by looking after two children properly, then the allowance could be paid for any further children. Probably the thinking in 1944was that the population needed to be increased, but it is increasing very rapidly now so that imperative does not apply.

What is the rationale for child benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Superfurry - em, maybe they can't get a job?

Advertisement