Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edjukation gone to the dogs!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov

Huge implications for the government if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

I'm so upset over this, I probably won't sleep for the rest of the week.

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Just sit up and count the sheeps! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's a depressingly shit photo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does Joe Duffy know about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Areyouwell wrote: »

Count sheeps

*edit - d'oh beaten to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Clearly a covert trigger sentence to activate sleeper agents. The Government are rattled over the water protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Usual RTE incompetence. Real story here.

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/sheppard-and-his-dog-walk-next-to-a-herd-of-sheeps-during-news-photo/457828598

A sheppard and his dog walk next to a herd of sheeps during their transhumance in Robecco sul Naviglio, northern Italy, on October 25, 2014. Sheppards have started seasonal migration, moving sheeps down the moutains before the beginning of winter.

Credit goes to Olivier Morin.

http://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/sheppard-and-his-dog-walk-next-to-a-herd-of-sheeps-during-news-photo/457828598

A sheppard and his dog walk next to a herd of sheeps during their transhumance in Robecco sul Naviglio, northern Italy, on October 25, 2014. Sheppards have started seasonal migration, moving sheeps down the moutains before the beginning of winter.

Credit goes to Olivier Moron.
    fyp! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

That RTE story also has a picture showing "informational posters" in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Swedish photographer, and in France, so that explains the issue with plurals and collective nouns, but yeah, still shocking that it wasn't proofread before going live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Right all ewes smartypants, how many of you could write the same caption in French unaided?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Credit goes to Olivier Morin.

Indeed. It's a sheeps-piracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Its why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Its why I don't pay the license..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Not much of a story. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Right all ewes smartypants, how many of you could write the same caption in French unaided?

Une sheeps entrepreneur avec chien et rendezvous de sheeps.

Macavity. wrote: »
    Not much of a story. :/
    What do you expect on a wet Sunday afternoon!

mass rape and pillage in the Vatican, a heard of wildebeest strutting majestically across the plains of Lansdowne road stadium or just Bored Boredsters finding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

1st year English!

I'm not sure what is worse, the shepard, the herd or the sheeps!

What's wrong with 'a herd'?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What's wrong with 'a herd'?

'flock' is the collective noun for sheep.

Though the same collective noun is used in french for sheep and cattle (troupeau), so I can understand why it didn't translate well.

• Advertisement

mike_ie wrote: »
    'flock' is the collective noun for sheep.

Though the same collective noun is used in french for sheep and cattle, so I can understand why it didn't translate well.

Ah yes, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

All google searches I came back with suggest a group of sheep can be called flock, herd or mob.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does Joe Duffy know about this?

He doesn't care, BMW sales are up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's hardly surprising. Have you heard a teenage conversation lately? Whether it be on the phone or face to face it generally goes as follows. 'He said, like, and I said like, and he says like and like I said':confused:

All google searches I came back with suggest a group of sheep can be called flock, herd or mob.

It does seem like a silly thing to get worked up about, if the writer had said 'a murder of sheep' or 'a school of sheep' I could understand but I would've thought using 'herd' instead of 'flock' would be fairly forgivable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Ad for spec savers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's hardly surprising. Have you heard a teenage conversation lately? Whether it be on the phone or face to face it generally goes as follows. 'He said, like, and I said like, and he says like and like I said':confused:

Smh. It's like just so gayyyyy when she's like and so weird when my bae is like I dunno and then we're like OMG so stressed and kill me already.

Weeps.

Advertisement