Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good karate club in cork.

Options
  • 26-10-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi ,
    I'm looking for a good karate club in cork for self defense. i'm 13 year old male. Also, I don't want it to be a mc dojo.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

shujah09 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I'm looking for a good karate club in cork for self defense. i'm 13 year old male. Also, I don't want it to be a mc dojo.
    thanks

Where in Cork?

You could try the Mayfield Karate Club run by sensei Abe McCarthy, or the Bandon Shotokan Karate Club run by sensei Ray Payne. Both of these are top-class clubs.

Sensei Tim Harte is an excellent instructor teaching in Shandon Street at the Olympic Karate Club.

Sensei Noel Casey and the JKA have a number of clubs in Cork. I do not know all of the instructors, but those I have encountered have a high level of karate.

If you look for clubs in reputable organisations known around the world for their high standards (JKA, SKIF, SRKH) then you will not go far wrong.

There are other clubs in Cork of course, but for a 13yo it's important to train where adults & teens train if you want to build up a credible level of karate that might serve you for self-defence purposes. Don't expect rapid results; karate is a slow art to acquire to a level where you can apply it for your own self-protection.

I have only listed Shotokan clubs as that's the style of karate I teach / train in and know most about.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

Zen65 wrote: »
    There are other clubs in Cork of course

Zen,
    I'd add to your list the SKIF Midleton Renshukan Karate club run by sensei Neil Sargent. Details here

It may be a bit far from Cork city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shujah09

Thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

There also is a Koryu Uchinadi club in Kilbarry Estate run by sensei Joe Glavin. Check ku-cork.com for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

There's also Seibukan Karate Club, David O'Donovan, in Douglas. Not sure how far that is from you though

• Advertisement
Advertisement