Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison more attractive than being on benefit.

Options
  • 26-10-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

The cuts to benefit are guaranteeing more squalor on the streets and swelling prison numbers. This is the reality. Take and put nothing back. Is that a fairer society?

People addicted to tobacco forced to uninsured sources, some terrifyingly dangerous is also reckless.

"competence" (first definition Wiki definition) the ability of a cell to take up DNA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

tracking wrote: »
    The cuts to benefit are guaranteeing more squalor on the streets and swelling prison numbers. This is the reality. Take and put nothing back. Is that a fairer society?

People addicted to tobacco forced to uninsured sources, some terrifyingly dangerous is also reckless.

"competence" (first definition Wiki definition) the ability of a cell to take up DNA

What.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This reads like the gobbledook you often get from spam messages with titles like "Hello Dear Darling." Just seems like a random collection of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

rawn wrote: »
    What.

buying dodgy smokes off the street tobacconists

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I was kinda hanging in there till the DNA bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

That was a good laugh to read.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

i'm more concerned with people having to still buy their cannabis from unregulated sources, especially when tobacco is everywhere and i've never ever enjoyed one ciggy like i have a fat spliff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What cut to benefits?

Social welfare stayed the same in the budget, with the addition of a small Christmas bonus, and child benefit was raised by a fiver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

Reads like something that was directly translated word for word using google

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

If a prison cell takes up DNA is it a competent prison cell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I more agree couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Think ops tracking is out a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What the feck are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tracking

rawn wrote: »
    What.

Two recent changes are being challenged here
    1. The rate of benefit is being cut enormously and a lot more people ARE going to end up homeless or in prison, and prison may be the better of the two.
    2. Twenty cigarettes are €10 retail, smokers of lower income can no longer afford to handle their habit forcing the purchase of cigarettes that could be lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

1. The rate of benefit is being cut enormously and a lot more people ARE going to end up homeless or in prison, and prison may be the better of the two.
    2. Twenty cigarettes are €10 retail, smokers of lower income can no longer afford to handle their habit forcing the purchase of cigarettes that could be lethal.

Social welfare benefits WERE NOT CUT in the 2015 budget.

If someone is a smoker on the dole, they don't need 20 benson. They can get a pouch of amber leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

They have options if they can't afford them beside buying dodgy cigarettes. They can use e-cig, patches, gum etc, or cut down on their intake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

They have options if they can't afford them beside buying dodgy cigarettes. They can use e-cig, patches, gum etc, or cut down on their intake.

Or smoke Mayfair blue, they're still only €8.50 which is still cheaper that what it cost for 20 JPB even before the budget (€9.10) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All cigarettes are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Guaranteed roof over your head? Check.
    Mod cons? Check.
    Three meals a day? Check.
    Free education? Check.
    Free recreation (Playstation, internet and UPC) ? Check

But you, crime doesn't kids...sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But you, crime doesn't kids...sigh.

Indeed. Crime doesn't kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Tables and cabinets+ the gradual disintegration of the emotional persona of a Victorian toilet attendant + a wax covered dolly with satanic inscriptions going across her forehead+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Did you bang your head OP? There were no benefit cuts in the budget (although there should have been) and the cigarettes price increase is badly needed to help eradicate the cancer sticks from society. 50 cent increase every year going forward will do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Did you bang your head OP? There were no benefit cuts in the budget (although there should have been) and the cigarettes price increase is badly needed to help eradicate the cancer sticks from society. 50 cent increase every year going forward will do the trick.

What "trick"? The one where being a cigarette smuggler becomes better paid than being a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I'm not convinced, OP.

Prisoners aren't legally allowed to get the dole. Apart from the small weekly prison allowance, how will they pay for cigarettes, to make them better off than free men on the dole?

Also, there's a distinct shortage of attractive ladies and booze in prison. Kind of limits the possibilities for bank holiday weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Who knew drivel could be so much fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If only it was possible not to smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

What's all this nonsense about people on the dole not being able to afford their smokes? Seriously?

I used to drink Coke all the time. I did maths one day and realized what it was costing me - almost 50 quid per month, I quit. Now I drink water because I don't have the cash to waste on fizzy drinks.

If anyone feels bad about my plight - feel free to PM me, and we can arrange a donation to help my cause. Surely, nobody should have to suffer my fate - not purchasing addictive drugs that they enjoy because they haven't the spare coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

That reads like the kind of shit I have to correct at work everyday. Not on the weekend, please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Nicorette

I get mine from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicorette-Chewing-Gum-White-Quantity/dp/B0032TZ2EU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414347366&sr=8-2&keywords=nicorette+gum+2mg

£10 for 105, buy 3 lots and get free postage

Simples :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

UCDVet wrote: »
    What's all this nonsense about people on the dole not being able to afford their smokes? Seriously?

I used to drink Coke all the time. I did maths one day and realized what it was costing me - almost 50 quid per month, I quit. Now I drink water because I don't have the cash to waste on fizzy drinks.

If anyone feels bad about my plight - feel free to PM me, and we can arrange a donation to help my cause. Surely, nobody should have to suffer my fate - not purchasing addictive drugs that they enjoy because they haven't the spare coin.

Allegedly, a pint of cola each day will prematurely age you by 4.6 years over a lifetime. (or other drink combining fizzyness + added sugar )

http://www.medicaldaily.com/drinking-soda-each-day-has-accelerating-effect-cellular-aging-may-cut-46-years-life-307495
    http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302151?journalCode=ajph&

Unless it's another hoax masquerading as research.

Advertisement