Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail running pace..? Bit demoralized

Options
  • 26-10-2014 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

So I've been training in the quarry in Howth. Went out yesterday in a new pair of shoes and planned an hour or so to break them in, see how they do. Really enjoyed myself throughout the run and was finding the new shoes fantastic. (Couple of hot spots but I'm putting that down to my feet already being swollen from walking around Kildare Village all day before getting out for my run and having less than ideal socks on thanks to laundry backlog).

Anyway, I did my run, felt tired but fantastic. Now, when I say run, I mean mostly a walk-run. Run a minute, walk a minute. I'm unfit at the moment and trying to get back to fitness without causing myself damage or putting myself off so I'm vaguely following C25k. Generally, though, after doing this little routine for 20 minutes or so I seem to loosen up and get into the swing of it and can comfortably do somewhere between 5-7 minutes at a go, depending on how uphill the section is.

So yesterday was windy enough in that in some places I had to shield my face to be able to get air. Came home with some times in my head for how long it took me from A to B or C to D and what not, to get an idea of pace. Was feeling pretty good about myself, I did a seriously steep climb without stopping. I had previously been doing about 5km in about 40 minutes, which although slow, is something I could live with. Figured that with the walking bits included, a 13 minute mile starting out isn't too too bad. But when I got home and mapped yesterday's run my pace was slower than a 16 minute mile and in the whole hour I'd only done 6.5km (4ish miles). I was disgusted on 2 counts - firstly I had been really enjoying the run so had expected to do a bit better than that. Secondly I was doing much longer running phases towards the end than normal so had expected I'd shave off a bit of time that way. This from someone who a couple of years ago was comfortable on the flat doing a 7 minute mile.

Now I'm fighting the urge to go out and do another run. It's just so demoralizing to think you're doing great, then get in and realize that even though I enjoyed it, it was a crap run.

Advice on what a typical trail pace is compared with road pace would be really welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

I don't know what a typical pace is but you'll certainly find it slower than running on the roads.

I don't run on trails as often as I'd like but when I do, I forget about pace and just go by effort, an hour at 70% effort is still an hour at 70% effort, regardless of how far you've ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Any run that you have completed and enjoyed isn't a crap run, don't beat yourself up.

Maybe try sticking to the C25K program more closely. The whole pupose of it is to avoid experiences like this. There is a definite goal for each session and you know exactly what you have acheived when you come home. Its easy to do too much if you are feeling good; or to bail on a run if you are feeling crap. A consistent program irons out those temptations, and structures your session to build your ability.

Above all don't let your experience put you off; you did a lot more than someone sitting on a couch somewhere! ;)

Edit; also wind can seriously slow you down so that your preceived effort is much greater than you can see mapped in speed/distance. You probably worked harder in the wind than you think, but the results don't take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

C25k is all about running for time not distance, the distance will follow as will the pacing. As others say trail running is entirely different and should be enjoyed as such.

Well done on the start. Keep the faith and you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

I'd be the same as pointer in as far as I don't do as much trail running as Id like but when I do I don't bring a watch just run by effort, trail running is always going to be slower.
    Keep with it your doing well, the c25k plan is a great plan if you stick to it, don't try beat the plan just do what it says!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Thanks for the advice. Guess it was just a slow day for whatever reason.

I say I'm loosely following C25k because I am finding it actually a little bit boring. The same run 3 times in a row is just... Dull... And a bit like no progress is being made at all. However I will heed the advice about sticking to a plan. I've found one from the Irish Times that looks like I'd be a bit more suited to it, each run each week appears to be a bit different so I am going to stick to it and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement