Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best degrees for aspiring entrepreneurs

Options
  • 26-10-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Are business degrees good?
    I might do something with computers but how do you know if you are into computer courses if you haven't programmed before?

Comments

It's hard to know - there are courses labeled as entrepreneurial out there. http://www.learnpipe.ie/courses/entrepreneurship/
    There are also postgraduate courses like http://www.ul.ie/graduateschool/course/software-engineering-entrepreneurship-msc for those who have taken a technical undergraduate degree.

I have a BComm and while a few of my peers went on to start their own business or to take over a family business, more of us became accountants. I don't think there is a defined career path to become an entrepreneur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Simple, work in an accountants office with business clients..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Are business degrees good?
    I might do something with computers but how do you know if you are into computer courses if you haven't programmed before?
    At the risk of sounding glib, you could just try programming? There is a wealth of information available online. Pick a language and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

Would BIS (Business information systems) be good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

My impression of this is that it's neither fish nor fowl. From my understanding the IT part is basic and not up to programmer level.

It might be a good pre post grad degree.

• Advertisement

Would commerce give you a better understanding of how business and marketing works?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It's really difficult to provide useful advice when you're giving us so little to go on.

What do you mean by "good"?

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's really difficult to provide useful advice when you're giving us so little to go on.

What do you mean by "good"?

What I mean is that do you think it would give you the same level of understanding of how business works as a bcomm degree?
    Would a bcomm give you a better understanding of running business, management and marketing?
    (BIS doesn't cover marketing in great deal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Whatever you're passionate about. If you know and love something you'll be able to make a business out of it and be damn good at it.

Advertisement