Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat meowing outside bedroom

Options
  • 26-10-2014 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've had my cat for over 2 years & he's always been outside overnight (with access to a shed) but due to some unpleasantness with a neighbour last week I'm now having to keep him in the house at night.

He's mostly happy enough to stay in but from about 5am every morning he's outside my bedroom pawing at the door and meowing. This will go on for as long as I stay in bed & not only is exhausting for me but since I live in a terraced house must be getting annoying for my neighbours (not the ones who caused the issue to begin with) as well.

I don't want the cat in my bedroom - I love cats but beds are for people. What I've been doing so far is completely ignoring him and making sure that the alarm goes off before I get up (even if this means waking up, setting it for 2mins time & waiting for it) hoping that he gets the message that his squawking is having no effect & it's the alarm I'm responding too but I guess I need some reassurance that this is likely to work. And if not does anyone have any suggestions?

There is a food element to this as he gets feed when I get up but I often come down & find kibble in his bowl from the night before so it's not that he's starving.

There's plenty of toys around the house but he seems to ignore them. It may be that he's looking for company but I'm not changing my stance on him coming into the bedroom so he'll just have to learn to deal with a few hours alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

If I were in your shoes for what it's worth, I wouldn't let him have free run of the house during the night but would select a room where he can have his bed, his litter box - maybe a covered one if he doesn't already have one and food and water at bedtime and then close the door. There are food dispensers with built in timers that you could set for 5 a.m. if that's his wake up time. Imho, it's not a good time of year for cats to be out over night anyway, fireworks, sadistic morons and all that jazz, especially in towns but if he has everything he needs in one room that it's safe to confine him in, he won't be long getting used to a new routine. I understand your reluctance to share your bed with him btw, it's wonderful for those cats and owners who enjoy the closeness but I have found to my cost that indoor/outdoor cats can bring more to the bed than the gentle sound of purring! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 countryfan117

Thanks- that might be an idea. This is the first time I've had a cat in an urban environment (I grew up in the country) so I've having to get used to some of the differences :)

Even if I liked the idea of him being in the bedroom he tends to react to being ignored for too long by biting my toes so he'd definitely not be welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement