Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beguiled

Options
  • 26-10-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭

Just watched this last night on telly.
    1971 film with Clint Eastwood as an injured Civil War Yankee soldier taken in and nursed by an all-girl boarding school in Louisiana.

Has to be one of the strangest and unsettling films I've watched.
    Basically Clint, while recuperating, is a figure of fascination and lust for these women and all sorts of crazy crap ensues.

It's difficult to categorise and it's actually hilarious at times but it's quite weird in so many ways.

Anyone know this film.
    I was interested to seen it got 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Saw it a few years ago now, its very good. Part of that strand of Eastwood films that delves into sexual politics and domination - Two Mules for Sister Sara, Play Misty for Me, the Beguiled, the Gauntlet, the Rookie, Heartbreak Ridge, Tightrope.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Saw it a few years ago now, its very good. Part of that strand of Eastwood films that delves into sexual politics and domination - Two Mules for Sister Sara, Play Misty for Me, the Beguiled, the Gauntlet, the Rookie, Heartbreak Ridge, Tightrope.

Interesting. Don't forget HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER. The classic EASTWOOD YEARS -1964 to 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw when I was 18, one of the lads rrecommended it so I gave it a whirl thinking it was another spaghetti western.........I was like, da cook is this, where's the ennio morricone score? But settled into it and have to say, absolutely loved it. One of my favorite Clint movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I watched this last night, as I'm currently trying to watch most Clint Eastwood films I haven't seen. Mainly for his westerns, but I'm checking out his other stuff too, although I was not expecting to find much hidden gems. However, after watching The Beguiled, I was going to make a thread this morning "The Beguiled (1971) - Forgotten Masterpiece?", but then I saw Sofia Coppola did a remake of the film released last year. So maybe the original is more known now?

Anyways, I was stunned at how amazing the 1971 version is, even more so than his crazy, violent westerns, this southern gothic tale makes watching Eastwood's filmography very much worthwhile. When this happens right at the start of a film, you know you're in for something nuts...

That wasn't even in the script, Clint just went for it. Full '70s trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Remember watching this on tele when I was a kid. :pac:

Haven't seen it since. Eastwood has some real creep moments in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

That wasn't even in the script, Clint just went for it. Full '70s trailer
    You mean he "ad-libbed" kissing an underage girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

cliggg wrote: »
    You mean he "ad-libbed" kissing an underage girl?
    Pretty much. I think the director suggested it to Eastwood, but it was not in the script. The 12 year old actress, Pamelyn Ferdin, was not aware it was going to happen.

Pretty much. I think the director suggested it to Eastwood, but it was not in the script. The 12 year old actress, Pamelyn Ferdin, was not aware it was going to happen.
    Jaysus! :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It was the 70s. And the sexual revolution hadn't been rolled back yet, so it took a lot to disturb audiences. It would be lot easier today.

It's a creepy but incredibly effective introduction to the character. Another film would have spent 10 minutes trying to establish his depravity. Especially given that Eastwood was playing him. Reminds me of the start of Once Upon a time in the West with Fonda murdering the family.

It was the 70s. And the sexual revolution hadn't been rolled back yet, so it took a lot to disturb audiences. It would be lot easier today.

It's a creepy but incredibly effective introduction to the character. Another film would have spent 10 minutes trying to establish his depravity. Especially given that Eastwood was playing him. Reminds me of the start of Once Upon a time in the West with Fonda murdering the family.

Yeah fair point, I haven't seen the movie just thought it was weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement