Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking around with empty coffee cups.

Options
  • 26-10-2014 5:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Now it is getting colder I have noticed more and more people walking around with cups.. But empty ones?

Lad on the bus today with all his "movember tash" or whatever hipsters call it made a point of slurping out a cup till my mate pointed out that he did not swallow anything and tilted the cup at the same angle every time. The cup was empty.

Its like a fashion statement..

Why???

And why to you still hold on to the said empty cup while texting and trying to use the self service till in Dunnes??

There is nothing in it.. It is not going to spill anything. So put it down or better in the rubbish bin!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Hipsters? Aren't those the same people that wear glasses frames without glass??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Go back asleep OP !..you will be grand in the morning..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Feckin tools! I was in brown thomas a number of years ago (before kids and mortgage...) and i was checking out this fine thing on the escalator in front of me.
    She had this massive brown thomas bag over her shoulder but there was nothing in it!
    Hahaha!
    So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

dubscottie wrote: »
    Now it is getting colder I have noticed more and more people walking around with cups.. But empty ones?

Lad on the bus today with all his "movember tash" or whatever hipsters call it made a point of slurping out a cup till my mate pointed out that he did not swallow anything and tilted the cup at the same angle every time. The cup was empty.

Why???

And why to you still hold on to the said empty cup while texting and trying to use the self service till in Dunnes??

There is nothing in it.. It is not going to spill anything. So put it down or better in the rubbish bin!

Probably some poor nervous chap who didn't have a bin nearby but didn't want to look like a tool holding an empty cup, and unless someone was as invested in what he was doing as you, they probably wouldn't have noticed.

Would this thread exist if it was a granny doing the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Seems like you worry too much about what other people are doing. Maybe you should mind your own business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Lad on the bus today with all his "movember tash" or whatever hipsters call it...
    Movember is the kind of thing I'd associate with GAA players, big 4 accountants and comedians who wear t-shirts with blazers. It's about as hip as popping round for tea in your local parish priest's house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No bins around maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Did any of you think that maybe he was starting of a begging career, heard there's good money init ...

How creepy must your mate be that he was watching some lad on the bus closely enough to know if he was, um, swallowing or not?

And where on the bus, in relation to the two of you, was he that you could have noticed this in any case?

Or are you just talking bollox?

Answers will be taken in any order OP, I'm not fussy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Starbucks cups?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

shedweller wrote: »
    Feckin tools! I was in brown thomas a number of years ago (before kids and mortgage...) and i was checking out this fine thing on the escalator in front of me.
    She had this massive brown thomas bag over her shoulder but there was nothing in it!
    Hahaha!
    So sad.

...or theiving- BT used not to put security tags on the clothes some years ago- ruins the line when you're trying on apparently...

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    ...or theiving- BT used not to put security tags on the clothes some years ago- ruins the line when you're trying on apparently...

Or had just returned something and walked off with the bag, I've done that (though more likely in Dunnes than BT in my case :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 littlebuddy84

I do this a lot as there's very little bins around my town. So I would either hold it or put it in my bag till I find a bin. I wouldn't be pretending to drink out of it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Probably waiting to throw it away and unconsciously went to sip from it, forgetting it was empty and unaware that they were under inspection.

That's my five seconds on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

This reminds me of about 20 years ago on the Cork - Dublin train. Mobile phones were just starting to go main stream but it they were still a bit expensive and not very many people had them. Anyway, this guy on the train was talking into his phone loudly for ages to let everyone know he had a mobile. Some guy on the train took a heart attack and people were asking around if anyone had a mobile to call for an ambulance to be waiting at the next station. Turned out it was a dummy mobile phone the dickhead was using.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

zetalambda wrote: »
    This reminds me of about 20 years ago on the Cork - Dublin train. Mobile phones were just starting to go main stream but it they were still a bit expensive and not very many people had them. Anyway, this guy on the train was talking into his phone loudly for ages to let everyone know he had a mobile. Some guy on the train took a heart attack and people were asking around if anyone had a mobile to call for an ambulance to be waiting at the next station. Turned out it was a dummy mobile phone the dickhead was using.

Were you on that train? I've met loads of people that were also on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

I think there was an Africa woman without a pram on the train also.

Oh no she was on a bus.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I've done this before while waiting to throw it in a bin and forgetting I had already drained the contents. brb gonna self immolate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I once saw a woman in a coffee shop scratch her leg but I'm pretty sure it was a prosthetic. Fecking hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

The world is a terrible place....God help us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Your friend analyses people at a distance to determine if they are really swallowing? If they are not then they are "movember hipsters".

In my mind, if I was on a bus and there was a young lad with a coffee cup, I would imagine the following: "Oh, there is a young lad with a coffee cup", not construct a vast fictional identity for him based on garbage American slang (Hipster Emos) derived from coffee cup angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    Your friend analyses people at a distance to determine if they are really swallowing? If they are not then they are "movember hipsters".

In my mind, if I was on a bus and there was a young lad with a coffee cup, I would imagine the following: "Oh, there is a young lad with a coffee cup", not construct a vast fictional identity for him based on garbage American slang (Hipster Emos) derived from coffee cup angles.

The angle of the cup is important in any observation of this nature:

90 degrees - not drinking
    135 degrees - sipping like a boss
    180 degrees - you've just spilled it down your pants you twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm going to second what anncoates said. I carry round empty cups when I can't find a bin, it beats throwing them on the ground.

People are so fcuking judgemental, live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Maybe he was an alien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You're friend seems like an awful judgemental prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

So OP, it seems that the people you're deriding are really just ecologically concerned sorts who don't want to litter, and are, at worst, a bit absent minded.

Whereas you:

- don't actually know what a hipster is
    - are such a nosey curtain twitcher that you analyse the mouth-to-cup angles of strangers on public transport
    - lack the critical faculty to derive a reasonable explanation for this observed activity, instead coming up with fanciful notions of fashion statements based on items of rubbish
    - do not even realise that it's October, not November.

Who's coming off worse here, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why???

It's a strange one alright, almost as strange as someone who feels the need to point out this behaviour, almost as strange as someone who feels a need to start a thread discussing this incident, almost as strange as me contributing to this discussion knowing it's going nowhere.

People are strange like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

shedweller wrote: »
    Hahaha!
    So sad.
    sounds like a shoplifter

BT bags were popular among shoplifters when i worked in retail during college.

Reasons being (i)they can tie the bag to conceal contents from cctv, (ii) shoplifters think BT bags attract less suspicion ... "she shops here/ in BT/ she's legit"

my retail days made me pretty cynical come to think of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

nothing like a good old fashioned cup of O2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

It's true. I swear to god. ;) Did you know as well that the MGM lion came from Dublin Zoo and Smithfield is the largest open air plaza in Europe and O'Connell street is the widest street in Europe and Phoenix park is the largest park in Europe? It's all true. I know thousands that can confirm it.

Advertisement