Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deloitte Pre-Interview Event

Options
  • 25-10-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

I have been selected for an interview with Deloitte which occurs in a few weeks time. I have also been selected to attend an invite-only "career information event" with "light refreshments" a few days before the interview occurs

I understand that this should be attended as it allows the employer to see how you act in a social situation ect. My main queries are:

What is the dress attire? (Blazer,shirt ... or suit) etc
    What gets you brownie points here, and what should you avoid doing at all costs

If anyone has experience attending such an event with Deloitte, or any other similar circumstance for a graduate position, please let me know!

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

d2014 wrote: »
    If anyone has experience attending such an event with Deloitte, or any other similar circumstance for a graduate position, please let me know!

Well for starters, don't offer to pay for the drinks.... Nor offer to buy the managing partner a drink, come to think of it.

Don't express an opinion on a partner to another candidate, she might be his daughter! Espically if she is a good sort and shares your embarrassment with just about everyone including her father.

Every now and then an eccentric partner gets through the net, don't assume the guy with the dicky bow and a cape is the entertainment! He so isn't!!!

Don't describe an other candidate to a partner as being a real brown nose as it might be his son and he just happens to know just about everyone in the office.

Remember which firm sponsored the event and don't spend the evening singing the virtues of an other firm. And especially don't tell the managing partner that there is no way you'd consider a position at his firm when the other place is so much better!

That should be enough for getting on with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What gets you brownie points here, and what should you avoid doing at all costs

It'll be a bit less formal than an interview I'd imagine so someone might talk to you about the match on Saturday or the weather or whatever which is fine, but pretty much don't say anything you wouldn't say in an interview.

A blazer and shirt would be fine I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d2014

Thanks guys, I share the same views as you both, just needed a little reinforcement :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

d2014 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I share the same views as you both, just needed a little reinforcement :P

Good luck, I hope it works out for you! You could not meet a nicer bunch of people - 30 years ago I had a blast there, better than college in fact :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d2014

Thanks a million Jim, much appreciated, I'd love to work for Deloitte I'm hoping it all works out, I've done my homework!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement