Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cleaning a drawer.....

Options
  • 25-10-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭

Was cleaning a drawer at home in my dads house and came across a Seiko 5. He has no idea where or what it is or where it came from.

A little shake and up she started!

Seiko watch production calculator dates it to January 1975.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice find! :) Not surprised it started up TBH. Seikos are near bulletproof mechanically. They can go forever on next to no servicing. Great watches.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Lume still looks good!

I take it it's worth around 20 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

893bet wrote: »
    Lume still looks good!

I take it it's worth around 20 quid?

Up to about 40, needs a service though. Seikos run well even in bad condition, until they don't :)

Here's a similar movement I'm servicing at the moment:

326462.jpg

Pretty sure these are the wrong hands, dial and markers has been painted badly and dial is dirty.

326465.jpg

Also, the movement holder was glued to the face....

326463.jpg

After a chemical bath some of the bad repaint was removed to reveal a lot of rust.

326464.jpg

Rust gone and some minor touch ups. Looking better.

326467.gif

Might post up a walkthrough of the servicing and reassembly when I'm finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Nice! Do you service other people's watches...?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Great minds think alike! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

TomCo wrote: »
    Might post up a walkthrough of the servicing and reassembly when I'm finished with it.

If you do that I will buy a Seiko 5 and try to copy/learn from you - and probably destroy a perfectly good watch in the process :)

No, not yet :(
    I haven't broken anything thus far, but I would be beside myself if I broke someone else's watch.

I need a lot more experience before I'd be comfortable!

(Plus I'm missing a fair few tools and lubricants to perform a "professional" job)

rwbug wrote: »
    If you do that I will buy a Seiko 5 and try to copy/learn from you - and probably destroy a perfectly good watch in the process :)

I definitely will. Just have to find the time to finish putting it back together.

TomCo wrote: »
    No, not yet :(
    I haven't broken anything thus far, but I would be beside myself if I broke someone else's watch.

I need a lot more experience before I'd be comfortable!

(Plus I'm missing a fair few tools and lubricants to perform a "professional" job)
    Pretty much my take too. I can do some "watchmaking", particularly with the early quartz and pocket watches(both have larger components) and I've swapped whole movements a few times, but beyond that... TBH I wouldn't be up to your speed TC. And I've had a couple of "oh hell!" moments with it. I'd be in need of a bucket of Immodium chased down with a few stiff drinks working on someone else's watch.

Advertisement