Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs in Pubs/Restaurants

Options
  • 24-10-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Is it just me (Victor Meldrew moment) or am I the only one who really f****g hates TVs on in Pubs or Restaurant, especially when the sound turned down? What purpose does it serve?

Recently I've begun to use an app on my phone whereby I can turn off the TV, if I can't do it manually (discreetly)! This can be good fun, watching the confused staff turning back on the TV only to have it turn off again.

I was recently in a quiet pub in Meath having lunch and they were playing classical music playing in the background, but there on a big flat screen they had MTV playing rap videos with the sound off! WTF? What was even stranger was that the owner walked in (after I turned it off) and turned it back on again, sat down with a coffee and read the paper. Just as I was leaving I turned it off again. But he didn't even notice.

Have we become conditioned to have a TV on at all times? I don't like going to certain pubs now because of this and if I want to watch s***e, I'll stay at home and watch it on my own set.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I f*cking hate TV's in pubs. People just end up staring at them in a trance without actually paying attention to what's on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kind of,

If the tv is switched on even muted people do just stare at the f*cking thing. Can be bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

No OP, you're not the only one. I hate it, especially when the volume makes your ears bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

All I see these days is fcukers looking down at their phones, just half listening to the people they're with.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't think I've ever seen a TV in a half decent restaurant?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I like when there's a TV because when the conversation switches to football I can just zone out and daydream while I stare at it until the topic changes.

Even if it is a football match on the telly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some people don't feel comfortable without a screen somewhere in the background, it's that much of a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

TV's are needed to watch the racing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

what is this app you speak of? sounds like fun

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

TV's ruin pubs. I'm getting to that stage where if i'm going to a pub, i want to be able to talk to the people there, and have a laugh. Instead, there's a tv there with some repeat of some sporting event and most people stare at it. And even if you're not looking at it, the pub is filled with people who think that by shouting at the tv the person on it will hear them.

Give me a quiet corner in a pub with a few mates and no distractions any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Bruxelles have been playing the same ancient Metallica concert on their telly, for the last god knows how many years...muted - with other stuff playing on the jukebox.

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I don't go to pub to watch TV, I go for some good conversation and a bit of craic. If I wanted to watch the TV and avoid social interaction, then I'll stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Depp wrote: »
    what is this app you speak of? sounds like fun

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pi.android.tvoff&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sop being such a ****ing dick with your phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I remember those hand watches years ago that had a TV remote control on them. Great fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Needs infrared capability though which a lot of phones don't have, mores the pity.

I like them, preferably with the golf or something else live on if it's night time or other sport on during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Alun wrote: »
    Needs infrared capability though which a lot of phones don't have, mores the pity.

The app I have is Samsung (comes with the phone). Basically you just set it up and put in the TV brand and it should then tune to it and turn it off! Yes you do need infrared on the device.

Alternatively you could buy one of those universal remotes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I like them, preferably with the golf or something else live on if it's night time or other sport on during the day.

I've no problem with big sporting events being on in the background, but when they play music videos and then play their own music in the pub, or if they have Coronation st on with the sound off, this drives me mad! Or the best is when they have Sky News on with no sound! WHY??? In the US they sometimes put the news on in pubs but at least they have the cop on to put on subtitles.

Advertisement