Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Sales in ROI

Options
  • 24-10-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to find new car sales numbers from 200 to 2013 and for the life of me I can't find them. I've checked on the SIMI and CSO websites.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

vandriver wrote: »

Thanks, I was able to extract the private new car monthly sales from Jan 2000 to Dec 2013 and it looks like this when graphed

bjeesz.jpg

It's not a pretty picture.

Any ideas as to why there was a short unsustained minor recovery in 2010 and 2011 but declining sales again in 2012 and 2013? Was there a scrappage scheme during 2010/11 which was discontinued in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks, I was able to extract the private new car monthly sales from Jan 2000 to Dec 2013 and it looks like this when graphed

bjeesz.jpg

Any ideas as to why there was a short unsustained minor recovery in 2010 and 2011 but declining sales again in 2012 and 2013? Was there a scrappage scheme during 2010/11 which was discontinued in 2012?

yes i availed of a scrappage deal in july 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

2014 will see that graph rise back to just under 100k. Hopefully next year will be more of the same trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Most company cars and a lot of cars on finance would be on 3 or 4 year deals, so a bump in 2010 may be precipitated by the changing of these cars.
    New finance being hard to come by, they may have just been returned and not replaced by new cars.

That's in addition to the scrappage scheme.

You might get data on number of taxed cars in the country by year. There'll be a natural attrition rate of >10yo cars.

The increase in attrition rate may indicate some of the cause of the spike (if actual scrappage figures aren't available) .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

bjeesz.jpg

The unsustainable bubble is over and we are back to a more 'normal' and sustainable level.

2000 was bit of an outlier just as much as 2009 at the other extreme.

If you were to graph back to 1970, say, you would see the long term trend.

As Contrail says, 2014 sales will finish at around 100k which is probably a sustainable level.

I remember reading an interview with an importer in the early 1990s where he said he didn't like to see the annual sales go over about 80k as he knew it was unsustainable!

Advertisement