Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Harmonica

Options
  • 24-10-2014 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for some harmonica lessons in the dublin area , ideally would like to meet with an experienced player (doesnt have to be an established teacher )I have been playing the last two years and basically just want to get some feedback on my progress and improve so any help most welcome !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Gordon Minard

Don Baker?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ferrplaytiyu

Thanks Gordon , Superb ! This is why i love boards ............NOT

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Harmonica lessons listed on Walton's website:
    Newschool.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Ah harmonica!

the day you work out how to bend a note is just magnificent!

Indeed it is ! anyway keep the suggestions coming as im still no closer in my search , as for Waltons , they seem to be more about group courses and seems private tuition through them would cost a fortune !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

How do you bend a note? I got about 5 pages into the Don Baker book, when he says "now bend a note. I can't tell you how to do it, you just do it. Figure it out then turn to page 6." (paraphrased, natch). That was 8 years ago and I can only bend the note on one hole... I'm dying to find out what's on page 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

ALL the books say that!!

as you inhale, have your tongue right to the front of your mouth blocking everything except a tiny channel across the top of your tongue.

then, keeping the sides high against your teeth, draw the TIP of your tongue down and back KEEPING the tiny channel across the top of your tongue.

at least, that's how it feels to me!!

yeah , im sure theres loads of literature out there , ive watched some utube videos etc but i would really like to meet with some one who knows their stuff so please if theres anyone in dublin please let me know !!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Is there any blues sessions in Dublin? Best way to learn to blow harp is by imitating and trying to copy someone whilst in their company. That's how we all learnt. Find yourself a simple little 12 bar and practice, you'll eventually bend without thinking, it is all about the volume (Cubic centimeters) of your gob. Small volume (IE tongue against teeth) no bend, increase the volume of yer gob by drawing your tongue back and up and the reed bends. its all about practice

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I started to learn it a few months ago. One of my band mates plays it brilliantly and when I asked him to show me he said " I can't, it's like masturbation, play around with it long enough and you'll get it" :p. It's kinda true.

Spend some time looking at the different techniques for blowing single notes and pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

There is tonnes of stuff on youtube, I like JP Allen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement