Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car tax 2008

Options
  • 23-10-2014 10:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi

If I buy a 2008 car now, which is in the lower tax band (tax is 390 . 2007 reg of same car is 710) . . Will the 2008 car stay in that lower tax band for ever , or will I end up paying 710 tax on it after few years ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Who knows what the Government will do with motor tax in the future. The cheap tax will not jump up to the old system's level over night but I'd imagine it will gradually creep up again over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

who knows as Bazz says, if they do increase it in the future, I wouldnt be surprised if they do emissions only, the youngest CC car will be 8 years old minimum if they did it in budget 2016.

You will save E320 a year, how much more is the 2008 car though? Often people will be worse off buying the 2008, particularly if borrowing and paying interest on the differential. Say you buy now and sell in 3 years, the car will be 10 years in old in a bit over 3 years and 2 months...

Just do the sums, I know mine with the cars I am interested in and buying the older 2007 and paying a bit more tax, works out far cheaper than forking out thousands extra in depreciation and loan interest to save hundreds simply on motor tax...

Advertisement