Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best serial killer movies? **NO LISTING**

Options
  • 23-10-2014 10:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Randomly watched 'copycat' the other night on film four. Reminded me how much I like a good serial killer movie. Any recommendations? Can only think of zodiac, bundy, kiss the girls, summer of Sam and silence of the lambs of the top of my head.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Check out some of what South Korea has to offer, there's some exceptional serial killer movies ;)

The Chaser
    Memories of Murder
    I Saw The Devil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I remember liking The Bone Collector when I saw it years ago. It might suck because my memory is bad, though.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is great, and someone is bound to suggest I Saw The Devil and Memories of Murder. While we're in that direction, The Chaser, too. I also really liked Funny Games, The Hitcher, and Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (But that one's a mockumentary).

EDIT: Links did exactly what I said :D:D !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

While I'm at it, Cold Fish is worth a look, very hard watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I thought Citizen X was very enjoyable , starring Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland . Based on the true account for the hunt of Soviet serial killer Andrei Chikatilo .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Man Bites Dog - about a spree killer who has his own documentary team following him on his rampage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

How about Monsieur Verdoux - one of Chaplin's best films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Kind Hearts and Coronets

/where's my coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,172 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Frailty which is a very underrated horror thriller, a top notch performance from Matthew McConaughey too

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

Skerries wrote: »
    Man Bites Dog - about a spree killer who has his own documentary team following him on his rampage

saw this when i was a teenager, great movie

"i think we have enough footage now" "we'll never have enough"

I saw the devil is excellent too

Remembered another one, The Magician. It's an Australian pretend documentary (Dunno what you call documentary style movies that aren't mockumentaries). It was a real nice surprise, and the guys only made that one movie. The extras on the DVD are kind of funny, a bit Garth Merenghi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

a few come to mind.

the first is to catch a killer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105604/

its a tv movie and its possibly hard to get but its brilliant.brian dennehy is excellent in it.

the second is monster

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340855/?ref_=nv_sr_1

based on the female serial killer aileen wournos.
    charlieze theron won an oscar for best lead actress for her role.shes brilliant in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Black Panther - based on the true story of a serial killer in the English midlands around the mid nineteen seventies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Dirty Harry

Scorpio was based on the Zodiac killer I believe but as there were suspects still alive they didn't (or couldn't) use the Zodiac name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

If you run out of serial-killer movies you can always switch to serial-killer docs.

Tons of them on youtube. Was in the mood last night for an ould doc on a mass-murderer so watched one on Gary Ridgeway, the Green River killer.

The Iceman was fascinating. There is a 2hr 20minutes-odd one on Youtube.

Plenty on Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dalmer, Dennis Nilsen etc.

Remembered another other one, Tony. British movie based on Nielsen. It's quite short, and gets very tense at times, one scene in particular. Most of the film is just following Tony around, watching him be as normal as he can. Great film, watched it a bunch of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

To catch a killer, with brian denahey is brilliant, its about john wayne gacey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Citizen X is my all time favourite serial killer film closely follwed by Bundy. Michael Reilly Burke is excellent and such a lookalike for Ted Bundy its uncanny. A good and bad thing cause MRB has been in a few tv series one offs(Csi,criminal minds etc) that I only see Ted Bundy no matter what part he plays.

7qt5ga.jpg
    7LwkcK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Have to agree...Dennehy is brilliant in it..Hes underrated as an actor imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

shamrock55 wrote: »

Its on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiLyNt8S60

Going to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgiLyNt8S60

Going to have a look.

You will enjoy it, i must have a look at it again soon myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

tinpib wrote: »
    If you run out of serial-killer movies you can always switch to serial-killer docs.

Tons of them on youtube. Was in the mood last night for an ould doc on a mass-murderer so watched one on Gary Ridgeway, the Green River killer.

The Iceman was fascinating. There is a 2hr 20minutes-odd one on Youtube.

Plenty on Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dalmer, Dennis Nilsen etc.

Incredible selection --I think I've seen them all at this point ;)

Just watched one on Israel Keyes. The show itself wasn't that great as the host is a bit over-the-top/annoying at times really but the material itself was terrifying.

Keyes was one of the scariest serial killers of all time imo (although 'The Toybox' and the one on Leonard Lake/Charles Ng was horrific as well)--thank God he was caught before the madness went on another 20 years. I can't imagine the pain of suspecting your missing loved one ended up in his evil clutches ....*shudder*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rruXvjjADl8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Snowtown is an Australian film, based on true events also. Hard to watch and very 'real' and gritty, but an excellent film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Psycho is the best serial killer film. If you haven't seen it, or think you know it, I urge you to watch the film in its entirety.

The famous shower scene is roughly halfway into the film and dramatically changes the tone. From this point the real horror sets in.

It is not a complex film, or one that requires great concentration, but it is best enjoyed in a dark, quiet room It doesn't stagnate either, as the whole thing is done and dusted in just over an hour and a half.

ENJOY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

m.imdb.com/title/tt0088750/

The Atlanta child murders.

Again it's a TV movie but very good for its time. Starring a very young Morgan Freeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I thought Halloween was good, and very fitting for this time of year :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm sure most have seen it but I can't believe seven hasn't been mentioned

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Memories of Murder, Zodiac, Cold Fish and Bundy are ones that immediately spring to mind. Memories of Murder is a classic, bit like a Korean Zodiac you could say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I'm sure most have seen it but I can't believe seven hasn't been mentioned
    Posts were deleted afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I loved Se7en and Zodiac Fincher makes great serial killer movies also going back to the 60's Tony Curtis in The Boston Strangler. Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy and recently Elijah Woods Maniac!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

[QUOTE=Bounty Hunter;92850708]I'm sure most have seen it but I can't believe seven hasn't been mentioned[/QUOTE]

I had previously mentioned it along with:

Identity 2003 Stars Ray Liota and John Cusack. A little different to your average serial killer movie, its about a group of strangers stranded in a remote motel with no communication to the outside world and they begin to be killed off, one by one.

Silence of the Lambs 1991. A young FBI agent seeks help from an imprisoned serial killer Hannibal Lecter as she tries to gain an understanding of what goes through the mind of these killers, in her pursuit of Buffalo Bill.

Advertisement