Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 40 5k

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Been jogging for about 6 months post c25k. Doing my first proper 5k on 12th November.

I'm desperate to break 40 mins for this. I'm currently running 3x5 km a week hovering around 41 mins. I'm 44 and a touch 😕 over weight.

I've read around but am a little confused with all the info out there.

What should I be doing to cut my times.
    I'd be really thankfull for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Slowly increase the distance of your 3 weekly 5k runs. Could you do 6k comfortably?
    Could you add another 5k run in during the week so your running 4 days a week?
    If your running 41 mins for 5k in training I'd say you'd be close to sub 40mins atm in a race, but if you increase your distance and frequency of your training runs you'll easily do it in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firstly, well done for sticking with it! If you're still running 6 months after c25k then you'll be a runner for life:)

If you're running 41 mins in training on your own then you'll more than likely break 40 mins in a race situation. You'll probably surprise yourself and do a lot better than that!

There's not a lot of time before your race to make significant improvements, however you could add a bit of fartlek (google it) into one of your runs. Just run a bit faster for 20 seconds or between lampposts or whatever, recover your breath and legs fully, and go again for another 20 seconds or so. You could do that 5,6 times during one of your 5k runs.
    I'd also extend one of your runs a little bit. You could maybe add on an extra 5 minutes onto one of your runs each week so you're going a little bit over the 5k distance on one of your runs. Add on 5 mins each week between now and your race.
    However, the week before your race you should cut back a little so your legs are extra fresh.
    Once you have that race done I'd suggest doing a 10k programme.
    Someone more experienced than me might jump in with a bit more advice for you. Best of luck!

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Slowly increase the distance of your 3 weekly 5k runs. Could you do 6k comfortably?
    Could you add another 5k run in during the week so your running 4 days a week?
    If your running 41 mins for 5k in training I'd say you'd be close to sub 40mins atm in a race, but if you increase your distance and frequency of your training runs you'll easily do it in a couple of months.

ha ha snap! almost!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I agree with the others. In a race setting you probably will be able to go under 40. Congrats on sticking with the program its hard but the rewards are there.

I dont think starting to up your distance/speed is the way to go. Continue with the running at your current by all means but you really need to reduce your weight. Try the nutrition forum for help on this. At your current a tad overweight as you say you have an increased risk of getting injured, not been able to run which would lead to a reversal of the last six months hard work.

Once the your weight reduces so will your times and ability to handle increased distances and effort in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I hadn't run 5k before my first race last March, having started C25K in January. Went on the beer 2 days before to celebrate backing the winner of the Cheltenham Gold Cup at 28/1 and was still feeling the effects on race day. Thought at the time the race was a disaster - went out way too fast, the legs went after 2k and I walked most of the rest of it. Finished in 40 mins. Went for a 5k training run the following week and it took me 44 mins. Turned out, it was several weeks later before I got below the 40 for 5k, so my time in the March race was actually not bad at all, in the circumstances. Learned a lot from the experience. If you're doing 41 in training, I think the race day excitement and atmosphere should get you below the 40....it's important not to get carried away and go out too fast at the start though!

Have you looked at the Get Running programmes on the Irish Times website? There's a new one called Stay on Track which is specifically aimed at improving speed over 5k, which might be helpful. I've also found that doing a 10k programme has helped too...I'm now at the stage where I can pop out and run 5k (slowly!) for fun as I know I can run twice as far now...I've come a long way from barely being able to run for 1 minute at a time in January!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

boom!!!! 37 mins, first race cork run in the dark, thanks everyone :-)

tinner777 wrote: »
    boom!!!! 37 mins, first race cork run in the dark, thanks everyone :-)

Congratulations:D:D Hope you enjoyed it!

Advertisement