Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Swim..

Options
  • 23-10-2014 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking of buying a garmin swim.

I have a 310xt which aside from missing the swim metrics is perfect.

As the 920xt is coming out the 910xt is that bit cheaper.
    Would I be better of selling the 310 and buying a 910? (Would I get anything for a 310?)

Does the 310 and Swim combined add up to a 910?

The swim is a bit sleeker for the pool and a few issues with the 910.
    Any other pros/cons?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MalDoc wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thinking of buying a garmin swim.

I have a 310xt which aside from missing the swim metrics is perfect.

As the 920xt is coming out the 910xt is that bit cheaper.
    Would I be better of selling the 310 and buying a 910? (Would I get anything for a 310?)

Does the 310 and Swim combined add up to a 910?

The swim is a bit sleeker for the pool and a few issues with the 910.
    Any other pros/cons?

Thanks,

Issues with the swim too. Had one of them as well and sent it back to for swimming. Feature wise it was massively underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

tunney wrote: »
    Issues with the swim too. Had one of them as well and sent it back to for swimming. Feature wise it was massively underwhelming.

Didn't know that, screen fogging?

Leaning towards the 910xt so. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

Didn't know that, screen fogging?

Leaning towards the 910xt so. Thanks

I still have the swim but sold my 910 a while back. While the swim is a nice neat piece of kit and you dont have to worry about it being charged I preferred using the 910 in the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

ray o wrote: »
    I still have the swim but sold my 910 a while back. While the swim is a nice neat piece of kit and you dont have to worry about it being charged I preferred using the 910 in the pool.

That's 2-0, 910 versus swim, I suppose the deciding factor will be what I can get for the 310.

Thanks lads

ray o wrote: »

What happened your swim sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

That's 2-0, 910 versus swim, I suppose the deciding factor will be what I can get for the 310.

Thanks lads

I've had both. The Garmin Swim is smaller (sleeker on your wrist) and so is better for your stroke. The fact it has a battery shouldn't be discounted- I've often grabbed my 910 only to find it needs recharging. The display on the GS I found easier to see underwater (although this is difficult with both). The GS can be worn as a normal watch too.

However there is no sound or vibrate with the GS, so thats a huge plus for the 910 when swimming longer pace sets. If it had sound, the GS would be a much better tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭ray o

tunney wrote: »
    What happened your swim sense?

Ah I just picked that up for a friend of mine. He uses his 910 now so it must be at the bottom of a training bag or drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I sold my swim as well. Will prob pick upa 910xt when the prices drop :)

I sold my swim as well. Will prob pick upa 910xt when the prices drop :)

I know someone that may have a known good 910xt, unused HR strap and footpod for sale soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

so it seems like you dont want to waste money in this case i would recommend the casio F 91 for 12 euro
    and if you dodnt rember your splits well , maybe go for an timex watch with 25 splits. Than buy a metronome and i think you have something that dosnt have to hide behind anything out there for swimming ( given the fact i see no device calculating distancnes consistenly correct for swimming especially in the pool . The added bonus that those watches will never let you down ( battery or leaking ) . Metronoms are about garmin reliability level .... but at 30 euro thats easeir to handle )

having said so the 910 is now a pretty good buy in my mind for swim bike run . at this stage there should not be many ones left to buy from early production...

but then again my 12 euro casio and using known courses gives me very reliable data for run and bike too.

for some less is more for others more is more and you have to decide what suits you best..

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    so it seems like you dont want to waste money in this case i would recommend the casio F 91 for 12 euro
    and if you dodnt rember your splits well , maybe go for an timex watch with 25 splits. Than buy a metronome and i think you have something that dosnt have to hide behind anything out there for swimming ( given the fact i see no device calculating distancnes consistenly correct for swimming especially in the pool . The added bonus that those watches will never let you down ( battery or leaking ) . Metronoms are about garmin reliability level .... but at 30 euro thats easeir to handle )

having said so the 910 is now a pretty good buy in my mind for swim bike run . at this stage there should not be many ones left to buy from early production...

but then again my 12 euro casio and using known courses gives me very reliable data for run and bike too.

for some less is more for others more is more and you have to decide what suits you best..

Plus one on the Casio F-91w, got one a few months back. very handy, a watch that tells the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

also no issues with trainingpeaks beta ;-)

peter kern wrote: »
    also no issues with trainingpeaks beta ;-)

no idea what you are talking about, that ddave is somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I use the garmin swim. I find it brilliant.
    I'm very lazy at counting or working out times etc. It's very easy to use and the display is clear.
    Some issues with it after changing the battery and fogging. It's been replaced twice but garmin were great to be fair to them.
    Will most likely sell it if the 920 comes around soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I had a Casio F-91w as a kid and loved it - but is it really suitable for swimming?

Advertisement