Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R9 270x and dual monitors

Options
  • 23-10-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have this graphics card (R9 270x). Its got DLDVI-I + HDMI + 2xMini DP.

My current setup isn't great because I use:
    graphics card DVI (main monitor).
    motherboards DVI output (secondary monitor).

When I'm playing games I get lower frame rates when my secondary monitor is displaying a video.

Anyway, what is the best setup I can buy (that's reasonable - sub €300 for the two monitors)?

I was looking at two 24" BENQ GL2450HM. But would I notice anything when one monitor was from DVI and the other monitor was using HDMI?

It would be nice to use the two display ports, but those monitors look either too expensive or too slow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Can't you just connect both of your current monitors to your graphics card (one with DVI, the other with HDMI)? There's no difference in quality between DVI and HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Luck100 wrote: »
    Can't you just connect both of your current monitors to your graphics card (one with DVI, the other with HDMI)? There's no difference in quality between DVI and HDMI.

Hi Luck100, this is the thing that I was wondering. Surely there would be a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Well, technically it's true that HDMI and DVI are not the same. HDMI can carry both audio and video, while DVI is strictly video. And they don't necessarily support the same range of resolutions and refresh rates. But for any resolution/refresh rate which they both support, they will produce equally good video quality. They are both digital connection standards so they will look identical if they are used in identical resolution/refresh rate settings.

Any version of HDMI or DVI will support at least 1080p / 60Hz. So unless you are running higher than 1080p / 60 Hz they perform the same in terms of video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a really odd setup, I didn't think you could even use a dedicated card and the onboard video at the same time? Very odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

yea - the reason I went for this is because both monitors had DVI ports and I had 1 DVI onboard and 1 DVI on the card. I'll be swapping both monitors on adverts to finance 2 monitors. I'll go for one monitor with DVI and one monitor with HDMI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement