Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coveney on electric cars

Options
  • 23-10-2014 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

I just heard Coveney on the radio promoting electric cars, he said it will only cost a few euro to recharge, almost free motoring says he. Simon are you forgetting the fact that you have to buy the electric car first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

.... and then tyres, other consumables, insurance, cleaning.....

Where's Mad_Lad gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

They just need joe down the pub to repeat this a few time and the Irish people will flock to them regardless of how much money they actually cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I just heard Coveney on the radio promoting electric cars, he said it will only cost a few euro to recharge, almost free motoring says he. Simon are you forgetting the fact that you have to buy the electric car first?

You also have to buy a petrol or diesel car first. Then you can start comparing.

Owners of electric cars will never have to change oil or fail an NCT due to emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

He must consider the cost to be insignificant then,
    Almost free motoring, what a dufus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Obviously he means after you buy the car. Comparing recharging the battery to getting a fill of petrol/diesel

Or maybe you're deliberatley trying to misunderstand him.

Edit: oh and nice acc name :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

cerastes wrote: »
    He must consider the cost to be insignificant then,
    Almost free motoring, what a dufus.

One car in a thousand sold in the UK is Electric. BBC "Saving the earth"
    I guess you either see it, or you don't?

50 euros in an electric car is about 2000 miles driving, not free of course but pretty damn cheap all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

50 euros in an electric car is about 2000 miles driving, not free of course but pretty damn cheap all the same.

Unless you charge solely at the public FCP.
    In which case it is free.

Unless you charge solely at the public FCP.
    In which case it is free.

Indeed but if you've to depend solely on the public infrastructure them is say don't at this time but am EV if someone can't possibly charge at home.

Indeed but if you've to depend solely on the public infrastructure them is say don't at this time but am EV if someone can't possibly charge at home.
    That reads a little difficult to me.

I'm considering buying an EV in 151 or 152. Trying to get work to install a charge point first though (60km e/w commute). Was initially looking at the Zoe but dont like the idea of no 3 pin charging. Would like the Outlander PHEV but too pricey. Looks like it will be a Leaf. On PCP so if the tech evolves or the range diminishes I can hand it back in 3 years for a new one.

However I'd be buying it with a view to charging from the public infrastructure while it's free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

I'm considering buying an EV in 151 or 152. Trying to get work to install a charge point first though (60km e/w commute). Was initially looking at the Zoe but dont like the idea of no 3 pin charging. Would like the Outlander PHEV but too pricey. Looks like it will be a Leaf. On PCP so if the tech evolves or the range diminishes I can hand it back in 3 years for a new one.

However I'd be buying it with a view to charging from the public infrastructure while it's free!

You can get a 24 hour test drive in the Leaf saw it on a add on the telly I did the same with a E-golf .. I think I will try that for comparison. Mad-lad got me thinking is the E-Golf worth at least 7000 euro more than a sve leaf .. without a heatpump ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Obviously he means after you buy the car. Comparing recharging the battery to getting a fill of petrol/diesel

Or maybe you're deliberatley trying to misunderstand him.

Edit: oh and nice acc name :)
    What ever about usernames goggle eyes not everyone can afford to buy new cars so electric cars are beyond their reach. Coveney was on the radio about electric cars saying that if you had to drive from cork to Dublin you could stop off for a 20 minute coffee break while charging not very practical is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What ever about usernames goggle eyes not everyone can afford to buy new cars so electric cars are beyond their reach. Coveney was on the radio about electric cars saying that if you had to drive from cork to Dublin you could stop off for a 20 minute coffee break while charging not very practical is it?

He has also said the level of driving you dictates their practicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Of course you have to buy an electric car first... but you also have to buy _any_ car first.

I bought a second-hand Leaf late last year, I was in the market for a new(er) car at the time and buying an EV allowed me to go from a 2003 Ford Fusion with no car loan to a 2011 Nissan Leaf and the savings of driving an EV are basically paying the car loan on the Leaf. Had I gone for a petrol/diesel engined car, I could have only afforded something around 2005/2006 at most, and would be paying more overall between car loan, fuel and maintenance.

Sure, someone telling you "this car is really cheap to run" is no use if you are not in the market to buy a new car, but if you are looking at changing your car and the range of an EV suits, you can get a very good car that will cost significantly less than a diesel/petrol equivalent.

Not to mention he said also that for a lot of people it would be a second car.

I don't think it is practical for driving dublin to cork every day, but for normal driving it's perfectly serviceable.
    If I do 120km a day and it's possible for me then it is ok for all but the very long commuters. And even then with the possibility of distance/endpoint charging (ie charge at work) it would double the potential range.

I've been humming and hawing about that 24hr test drive for a while tbh. Is that at all nissan dealers?

kdouglas wrote: »
    Of course you have to buy an electric car first... but you also have to buy _any_ car first.

I bought a second-hand Leaf late last year, I was in the market for a new(er) car at the time and buying an EV allowed me to go from a 2003 Ford Fusion with no car loan to a 2011 Nissan Leaf and the savings of driving an EV are basically paying the car loan on the Leaf. Had I gone for a petrol/diesel engined car, I could have only afforded something around 2005/2006 at most, and would be paying more overall between car loan, fuel and maintenance.

Sure, someone telling you "this car is really cheap to run" is no use if you are not in the market to buy a new car, but if you are looking at changing your car and the range of an EV suits, you can get a very good car that will cost significantly less than a diesel/petrol equivalent.
    +1
    This is my reasoning aswell. Why drive a 6-10 year old petrol/diesel car when you can drive a brand new EV with better spec for free (essentially for the loan repayments), albeit with the range tradeoff.

He has also said the level of driving you dictates their practicality.

Looks like he'll have to surrender his travel allowance so if he's going from cork to Dublin entirely on his outlanders battery,

Looks like he'll have to surrender his travel allowance so if he's going from cork to Dublin entirely on his outlanders battery,

The key word was 'practicality'.

Outlander is a PHEV no? Meaning it charges the battery with the petrol engine while driving.

Outlander is a PHEV no? Meaning it charges the battery with the petrol engine while driving.

It's plug in as well as hybrid the range of the battery is 52 km

• Advertisement

Yes but the actual range of the car is a lot more than that.
    I like the Outlander a lot actually but it's out of my price range atm.

If you need to drive long distances every day, then you won't be considering an EV.

Everyone is aware of that and Coveney wasn't saying any different.

Glad you could understand my typo's , this is what happens when you log into boards on the jacks in work ! :D

If work installs a charge point then happy days, the Kia Soul Ev is worth serious consideration, while it doesn't look stunning, there are worse cars, I think the soul looks better than my MK II Prius.

I'm still looking into the Soul being able to break the 100 mile barrier at decent speeds.

The difference is the soul in winter is that it has much more potential of any other affordable EV with the battery heater, the I3 has an "optional" battery heater but it is very expensive but supposed to be a lot of fun to drive.

No one can say if the battery will last longer and it may not heat up from fast charging but that's unknown yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I visited local KIA dealer recently and he had no word on when the Soul would be coming in. He wasn't even sure it would be...

axe2grind wrote: »
    I visited local KIA dealer recently and he had no word on when the Soul would be coming in. He wasn't even sure it would be...

Dealers rarely know when a new model will be available until it's almost available for sale.

I'm sure the UK will get it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

If you need to drive long distances every day, then you won't be considering an EV.

Everyone is aware of that and Coveney wasn't saying any different.

As an EV driver for 19 months, I agree.

Advertisement