Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Marathon to do in tourist mode

Options
  • 23-10-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on what marathons are best to do in tourist mode as I have a GFA for a good few now of 2:58?

Currently looking at London (3:05) and Boston (3:05) but what others are well worth the trip and just take in the atmosphere rather than race hard? I see GFA for NY is 2:45 so that's not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

viperlogic wrote: »
    Any recommendations on what marathons are best to do in tourist mode as I have a GFA for a good few now of 2:58?

Currently looking at London (3:05) and Boston (3:05) but what others are well worth the trip and just take in the atmosphere rather than race hard? I see GFA for NY is 2:45 so that's not an option.

You can get into NYC with a sub 1:19 HM though. You know it will be 2016 before you can use your GFA for London/Boston right? Both are already closed for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You know it will be 2016 before you can use your GFA for London/Boston right? Both are already closed for 2015.

Yup, herself would kill me anyways if I started another marathon training plan so soon anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Head to Cape Town and do the Two Oceans marathon. Takes place in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Venture up to the north of Norway and do the Midnight Sun Marathon, if travel and banter is the main reason for running, rather than athletic performance. You get to run in the middle of the night, but in broad daylight. Pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I did London as one part of a great weekend. Drank a good deal on the Friday, went to the Lion King and sightseeing on the Saturday with more pubs on Saturday and Sunday. Took in a spot of drinking Fosters in the queens front garden and banter in a The Coak Hole. The marathon was good too.

Boston was nice in getting to spend a couple days around Cape Cod and up to Maine if you want to go further afield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

How do people rate Seville? Looking myself for a tourist marathon in April. Missed the draw for Boston. Connemara, Hamburg etc. are possible candidates. Don't think I'll venture outside Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I looked into it last year. Getting to Seville from Ireland at that time of year is a pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Gavlor wrote: »
    I looked into it last year. Getting to Seville from Ireland at that time of year is a pain in the hole

Only 2.5 hour easy motorway driving from Malaga or Faro. Seville is a great city. Always good fun around the Cathedral in the old town at night time.

Gavlor wrote: »

Yeah, that's the issue. Looks like a trek. Hate travelling so it might be somewhere in Ireland or Hamburg. Missed London and Manchester does nought for me...

Might see you for a *few* in McGrattans....!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

How do people rate Seville? Looking myself for a tourist marathon in April. Missed the draw for Boston. Connemara, Hamburg etc. are possible candidates. Don't think I'll venture outside Europe.

Seville is a great marathon. Dirt cheap too. As mentioned though, it's not the easiest place to get to as you can't fly direct from Dublin when the marathon is on. It also takes place in February (you say you're looking for one in April). Maybe try Hamburg. All the cool kids are going there in 2015 :).

• Advertisement

Seville is a great marathon. Dirt cheap too. As mentioned though, it's not the easiest place to get to as you can't fly direct from Dublin when the marathon is on. It also takes place in February (you say you're looking for one in April). Maybe try Hamburg. All the cool kids are going there in 2015 :).

Cool. That's Seville ruled out so! Had it in my head in was in April. Hamburg looks good. Looking for a holiday/long run so a few German beers might be a nice temptation!

Cool. That's Seville ruled out so! Had it in my head in was in April. Hamburg looks good. Looking for a holiday/long run so a few German beers might be a nice temptation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hamburg doesn't have too many challenging hills from the profile profile.
    http://www.haspa-marathon-hamburg.de/images/stories/strecke/2013/mh13_profil_1200x351.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Ah you just missed Jersey ;), maybe next year?

Itziger wrote: »
    Hamburg doesn't have too many challenging hills from the profile profile.
    http://www.haspa-marathon-hamburg.de/images/stories/strecke/2013/mh13_profil_1200x351.png

Looks very flat. The choice is now whether to choose a flatish/fast course or a scenic tough course like Connemara or somewhere like that abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

One that I've always wanted to so is Honolulu. On in December but still temps in the high 20s. Course is meant to be beautiful. Big hill at the end though so definitely not one for a pb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Please rename thread to "Please find me a flat marathon in a location that I can convince other half that its a holiday" :)

PS 2:45. Thanks for the goal setting. OH love New York.

Advertisement