Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal temp to set CH Boiler Stat?

Options
  • 22-10-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭

1204f3a5-8001-4620-8d9b-9c65ceffaa62.jpg
    We have a Stanley waterford indoor oil range in this house we are in. Throughout the summer we have been heating up the hot water in the copper cylinder and have set the boiler stat at 60c now its getting cold and for the winter and we will be running the CH rads would it be good to crank up the boiler stat to 70 or 80c instead of 60c? Heres some observations ive made:

• The central heating boiler thermostat on this oil range / boiler seems to only go up to 80c max - when i have seen other oil boilers their stats seem to go up to 90c or 95c

• When ive seen boilers in other peoples houses their boiler stats seem to be set at 80c ... mind you they have been the outside ones and maybe they need that extra 20c because they are outside boilers?

• The copper immersion hot water cylinder has a pipe stat near the return pipe at the bottom of the cylinder. Its wrapped around cylinder with what looks like a net curtain expandable wire rather that attached to the return pipe of the HW cylinder and it was set to 70c

• The system has 2 zone valves in the hot press - one on the flow pipe to the copper HW cylinder and a zone valve at the bottom of the press on the flow for the rad circuit

This is what im figuring doing for winter: set range oil boiler temp to 70c or 75c or 80c and set the Domestic hot water stat on the copper cylinder (the oill stat not the immersion stat) to 60c or 65c - would that be right?

Or should i just leave the boiler set to 60c for heating rads and water, when i tried that seems to take awful long time for rads to get up to heat.

If rads have 80c going through them rather than 60c is this better for them? i.e. does it help to move sludge along and keep them sludge free the hotter the water in them? - and are they more efficient if the boiler is set at 80c i.e. warming up quicker and working better because they are hotter and heating the air more efficiently than if they were running at 60c?

thanks for any info or telling me what you have your boiler stat set to for heating water and rads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Cylinder 60-65
    Heating 70-75 "MAX"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

scudo2 wrote: »
    Cylinder 60-65
    Heating 70-75 "MAX"

Many thanks for that
    , i will give that a go - weathers got milder now, typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Many thanks for that , i will give that a go - weathers got milder now, typical!

Don't worry Andy,
    You'll soon be freezing, the way you keep fiddling with your boiler & heating !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Don't worry Andy,
    You'll soon be freezing, the way you keep fiddling with your boiler & heating !

thanks for the vote of confidence lol :-)

Advertisement