Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adverts...timewasters

Options
  • 22-10-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

Drove miles to view a car today, guy called me and told me all about the car as best he could......OMG i'm suprised his nose wasnt 6 foot long... a bigger piece of crap i never saw...every panel was damaged ,two doors were beyond repair, dirty inside and out, engine bay had muck in the wheel tubs ...fcuking total waste of time.....really had to bight hard on my tongue...:mad:.

On reflection the images in the ad should have been a warning shot...fuzzy and blinded by sunlight....he wanted 1900 for it...i said i wouldnt give him half that...he asked what i would give him.....:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

€150 and a half-eaten sandwich offered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Some chancers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I've had a few of them viewings. Drive 2 hours to see a focus such a piece of sh!t I never seen in my life. Paint was peeling if every panel. The seats were covered in oil and grease I didn't even sit in it or start it. The boot was properly full of grass. The engine quite frankly it's a miracle it ran as it was properly covered in oil injectors leaking diesel. Owner maintained it was mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Don't get me started on those that do nothing but waste others time.

I went to look at a car at the weekend with the intention of bringing it, I knew it was going to be fairly rough but at least have the damned car started and going before I get there. With several huffs and puffs pushing the pile of scrap to get it to go I said forget it and drove off. Get a phone call from yer man "nearly went there" sure nearly is no f*ckin use to me now, now is it?

Inside was a mess, rust on ever panel, boot non existent, roof jumped on, an unholy mess of jumped wires/loom split under the bonnet, key wouldn't turn in the ignition, starter bolloxed, missing crossmember, possibly ruinedturbo.... I've scrapped better scrap!

At least be honest and state the car was a non runner.

200 miles, half a tank of diesel and my time that I can't get back. The worst part was my fathers time was wasted too.

Thankfully this doesn't happen to us very much, just irritating when it does

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Fuking chancers just want to get people out to the car, hoping that the viewer will buy, because they won't have wanted a wasted journey. If the phitos are bad, I always request more photos be taken. If they can't be arsed, then neither can I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Drove miles to view a car today, guy called me and told me all about the car as best he could......OMG i'm suprised his nose wasnt 6 foot long... a bigger piece of crap i never saw...every panel was damaged ,two doors were beyond repair, dirty inside and out, engine bay had muck in the wheel tubs ...fcuking total waste of time.....really had to bight hard on my tongue...:mad:.

On reflection the images in the ad should have been a warning shot...fuzzy and blinded by sunlight....he wanted 1900 for it...i said i wouldnt give him half that...he asked what i would give him.....:rolleyes:

It's not just adverts and the knackers bible dungdeal, I've had the same happen to me at a dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not just with cars, I don't know how many campers I have looked at that were rotten.
    Last time I drove 250km to see a camper,I'd asked the guy if there was any damp in it. No he replied.
    Got there and I could see the wall panelling peeling off the wall, mirrors were damp with condensation.
    You can't trust a lot of sellers, seem to be pathological liars and hope to sucker you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You can't trust a lot of sellers, seem to be pathological liars and hope to sucker you in.
    Funnily enough I've found if you give buyers an actual honest description they won't come. Most prefer to hear it's MINT, gets 90mpg in the city, never gave a days trouble, had lots of parts replaced, receipts weren't kept as a mate did it, got a new set of triangles a few thousand kms ago (probably 40k), just serviced recently in 2011 etc etc.

If you tell some feckers the truth they know so bloody much they won't come. I generally try and sound out what the buyers are like so I can see how much honest information their thick heads can handle. Of course I've had some people who really appreciated the honest approach and bought from me.

@Pred Racer, I have had that numerous times. A Mazda6 I drove to Drogheda took the biscuit however.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The joys of dealing with Joe Public. Sellers telling you their car is immaculate when it couldn't be further than the truth and the other side of the coin where buyers offering you half your asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

ba_barabus wrote: »

@Pred Racer, I have had that numerous times. A Mazda6 I drove to Drogheda took the biscuit however.

A Citroen xantia in mullingar, that I couldn't even drive because it had 4 flat tyres and was covered in moss and was blocked in even bough I'd called ahead and told them what time I'd be there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Two contrasting adverts stories: Went once to see a mint Punto. The reality was badly crash repaired one, bonnet, wings on primer and rusting badly already. Was suspecting some damage as photos "forgot" to show the front but that was taking the biscuit. I didn't buy it. Instead I bought another one that was even cheaper, lots of work done, and exactly as advertised.

Advertisement