Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes at SPIN 1038/SW

Options
  • 22-10-2014 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

What does everyone think of the new bespoke imaging on both SPIN stations?
    Their new slogan is #1 for music and entertainment. They've even update their logos.
    Personally i'm liking the sound of the stations but their news has gone ridiculous... Before it used to be It's (TIME) Hi I'm X and here's the story. . .
    now it's just I'm X ... they don't even give the time out anymore. And it seems to be over in seconds. I noticed it yesterday and noticed it again today....

The Main news lasted 1 min 14 seconds
    Sports News lasted 21 seconds
    Entertainment news lasted 57 seconds

I find that after having listened I still don't know what's going on in the news.

To me it just seems they're putting the minimum out there just for the sake of it because they have to.

Would be interesting to see what you guys think.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes, it certainly wouldn't be my go-to news station but I think the idea for the brand is that it's effectively brain floss. It's vacuous from start to finish and it's supposed to be. The target audience is quite wide-ranging (15-34) but the focus is certainly the younger end of that. At the upper end (where I am!), you have people who may be actively trying to avoid anything too mentally engaging.

Personally, I like having a station available where the news is kept to a minimum because news is generally either alarming or depressing and there are just times when I want to ignore it if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Both stations had the same logos since launch. It was probably time for a change. But I must say they are sounding as slick as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ryan2me

also I've noticed they are no longer playing the same news on the stations. just listened to both stations at the same time - started off with different stories . They're now making reference to the respective websites and twitter in the insidestory. spinsouthwest.com ... spin1038.com etc which is much better than they're on the website.

My main gripe as stated already is not giving a time on the news.. I mean who doesn't give the time when reading the news its a joke. Station sounds slick as Gavin just said above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Ryan2me wrote: »
    My main gripe as stated already is not giving a time on the news.. I mean who doesn't give the time when reading the news its a joke. Station sounds slick as Gavin just said above :D
    This is basically Spin gleefully sticking 2 fingers up to both listeners & regulators in relation to news content & quality. They were well on the slippery slope when they decided to drop traffic news a couple of years ago from "The Story" bulletins during Fully Charged (a breakfast show...). The objective now is to do the bare trashy minimum possible while giving the Spinnies an opportunity to try-out presenting in-studio. The only positive is that they've FINALLY dropped the yoke that used say "I'm sorry, WHAA'?" before the entertainment bits.

Dropping the time-checks simply enables playing more pre-recorded bulletins - after all, who's gonna notice or care about recycled trash... Genius... :rolleyes: I don't want hugely serious & detailed 5-10+ minute news reports by any means, but I don't want to be patronised and dumbed-down to, either...

And don't get me started about endless replays... Especially the PITH Fully Charged Replays(?) from 6am when I used to be perfectly happy with chat-free music before they started inserting 5-10mins a time of yesterday's phone competitions, links, banter, old-news gossip, newspaper reviews, etc, until the actual live show starts at 6:45 grrr :mad:

Advertisement