Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto X (2014) - Android Lollipop

Options
  • 22-10-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi guys , I'm interested in getting one of the new Moto X but none of the carriers in Ireland stock them at the moment or plan to in the future as far as I'm aware.

http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-x-2nd-gen-16gb-black-266286/

Expansys have it in stock at the moment but I'm wondering how would this device be updated to Android 5.0 if i were to buy it? Would it be an OTA update when its released in the UK or would the phone have to be rooted and updated from there?

I've seen Motorola plan to release the update just after the Nexus line ( I currently own a nexus 5) , but I don't think I'd be willing to change to Moto X if I was going to be stuck with KitKat.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You'll get it straight OTA from Motorola.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Cheers for the quick reply.

Hopefully the update is out soon enough. Probably late next month would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is that the cheapest you've found it Emmo?

I am somewhat interested in that phone myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I think Motorola have said that they plan to update their phones to Lollipop within 90 days of the final source code from Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Amazon have it and it converts to €530 so I suppose you could go with them as well.

I'll probably wait to see how they implement Lollipop before I consider purchasing. I would like to think it will be similar to their take on KitKat , being pretty much stock with the addition of a few handy features from Moto themselves.

I'll see how I get on with Lollipop on my Nexus 5 first. It's said to improve battery life and camera also so may not need to upgrade until next years lineup.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Smartphone-Black-Resin/dp/B00NBU1MZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413983098&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Hi- I'm thinking of getting a 2014 Moto X- about €300 from pixmania. I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has one.

I had a 2014 Moto G- it died after 6 months! I should probably steer clear of Motorola now but I really liked the phone! I'm torn between the 2015 Moto G or a 2014 Moto X. Personally, the bamboo Moto X is the coolest looking phone I've ever seen!! (Perhaps not the best reason to get one though!)

Appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Hi guys , I'm interested in getting one of the new Moto X but none of the carriers in Ireland stock them at the moment or plan to in the future as far as I'm aware.

I've seen Motorola plan to release the update just after the Nexus line ( I currently own a nexus 5) , but I don't think I'd be willing to change to Moto X if I was going to be stuck with KitKat.

Any help appreciated.
    i've had the Moto X 2013 for almost 2 years now....absolutely love it.
    Their UI is excellent, and yes lollipop on the Moto x (2013) is great.

I bought it from clove.co.uk at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Hi- I'm thinking of getting a 2014 Moto X- about €300 from pixmania. I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has one.

I had a 2014 Moto G- it died after 6 months! I should probably steer clear of Motorola now but I really liked the phone! I'm torn between the 2015 Moto G or a 2014 Moto X. Personally, the bamboo Moto X is the coolest looking phone I've ever seen!! (Perhaps not the best reason to get one though!)

Appreciate any feedback.

I've a Moto X 2014 that I purchased in late June. Nice device, but it packed up two weeks ago after less than 4 months of light use. The cellular radios stopped working out of the blue and it would no longer work with any sim card or network in any location. Wifi, BT and all the other stuff still worked, but a phone that doesn't make calls or text is pretty useless.

But the part I must really warn you about is what Motorola tried/are trying to do to me as regards the warranty. I sent the phone in for repair thinking it would be a straightforward repair under warranty, but got back a quote of €180 stating that the "unit was outside manufacturer warranty".

I kicked up as you can imagine, and the repair centre crowd backed down, saying that according to Motorola the warranty ran out the day after they had received it at the repair centre, and that in fact they would therefore do it under warranty. Sorry for inconvenience.

I am now awaiting for them to receive "parts" which it says won't arrive until December and even when I get it back Motorola are probably going to regard it as out of warranty from then on, despite the fact that their website says they warranty it for 12 months. I should have warranty until next June, but Motorola aren't honouring this and won't explain why.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/101399/p/30,6720,9197

I had a 2013 X as well before this, never had any trouble with it, and am actually now back using it at present to tide me over. I liked their devices but whatever the hell Lenovo has done to Motorola since the takeover, it has now got to the stage where I don't think I will ever consider buying a Moto again.
    My mother also has a Moto E 2015, a phone that was sold on the promise of being given updates, but this has now been shown to be a lie also, as the E 2015 is not going to get Android 6.0. It probably won't even get 5.1. The most recent OTA for Moto E 2015 was labelled as 5.1, but was in fact just an incremental update to 5.0.2. Another lie.

It saddens me to see this happen. They are ruining their company, and all for what? A couple of dollars savings in the short term, while demolishing their reputation and driving away customers who would have repeatedly bought their devices, year after year, if they treated them properly.

I'll likely be going with a Nexus for my next phone.

That sounds awful! Might stay away so. Thanks for your input.

If you can do without NFC, and can manage to get an invite, the OnePlus X looks decent.

It has very similar specs to the Moto X 2014. The processor is same Snaodragon 801, RAM is same 2GB, the screen is same res full HD, and it is also AMOLED, though a little smaller at 5" vs 5.2" in the Moto X. An advantage it has is a sdcard slot, so you can add to the 16GB storage, which is not possible on the Moto.

There's an invite swap thread on here. Could be well worth a go at €269!

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance but I don't really know what NFC is! Is it something like Bluetooth? I've only heard of OnePlus through online reviews-but don't know anything about them tbh. What's the deal with getting one? You have to apply?!I'd be interested to hear as the phone looks cool and sounds great for the money.

Just had a look on their website and applied. Cool looking phone- might be an interesting alternative. Thanks for the info.

Excuse my ignorance but I don't really know what NFC is! Is it something like Bluetooth?

Yeah, it's another type of wireless data protocol. Near Field Communication. It only works when devices are really close together (like two NFC enabled phones placed back to back can share some data over NFC).

You can buy NFC tags which are a bit like those security tags they use in stores. You might often see them deactivating the security tag on items, at the checkout when you are buying things in places like Harvey Norman. They run it over some other kind of scanner alongside the barcode scanner, so that it doesn't set off the detectors on the doorway as you exit. Anyway, NFC tags can be programmed by yourself to automate tasks. For example, you might stick a tag on your bedside locker that is programmed to automatically mute the phone while the phone is next to it, a kind of auto do-not-disturb.

The other more significant use of NFC is a a method of using your phone as an electronic payment device. A bit like Apple Pay on iPhone. Google have recently launched the Android Pay system which uses NFC, but I think it is only used in America so far.
    It probably will be a bigger deal down the line, but right now it isn't, at least not until shops here allow you to use it. A bit like Bluetooth would have been around 2002-2003, it existed but wasn't yet widespread.

I get ya. Any other recommendations for phones? Don't want a contract- just stay sim only. €300 or less, preferably 16gb, good battery and must have a fm radio!

Well if FM radio is a must, then the Moto X 2014 is definitely out as it has none.
    OnePlus X is supposed to have a FM radio, I believe, but check the reviews to confirm.

Under 300, otherwise I think you'd probably be able to get a very nice Xiaomi, but to be honest, I'm not very knowledgeable on the "Chinese" phones beyond a basic awareness. There are threads on here with people who may able to give you better info than I can, especially from hands on experience with these devices, and also advice on obtaining the devices, customs etc.

Another significantly cheaper but goody phone that has made some waves in recent times and is very popular with boards users is the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. It has very similar specs to the Moto X Play for less than half the price ~€170 unlocked. You can get an unlock code off eBay for a couple of quid, to use it with networks other than Voda. It's made by ZTE who are a pretty well established manufacturer. I believe it has a FM radio.

Hope this helps.

I'll check it out- thanks a lot! I quite like the look of that Oneplus X. Clever marketing to make you think you're being 'selected'/joining some exclusive club....it plays on our innate vanity..it's certainly worked on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I get ya. Any other recommendations for phones? Don't want a contract- just stay sim only. €300 or less, preferably 16gb, good battery and must have a fm radio!
    May be a bit costly for you, but the moto x play is 350 in agros and has all you need,. Great phone for the price and the battery life is unreal

Advertisement