Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good deal?

Options
  • 22-10-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a Baxi solo II gas boiler in my house in Dublin. It hasn't been turned on since probably Feb or March and when someone went to turn it on last week there was no life in it at all. Anyway I got an RGI guy to look at it and he said it's kaput, probably the pcb or fan that's bust. (Both of these were replace within the past 5 years roughly).

Anyway the RGI guy said there's no point throwing good money after bad and I'd be better off getting a new boiler. He quoted me 1500 - 1600 for a new Ideal Logic 24 Kw condenser boiler including flushing the system and an inhibitor, and he would also give me a cert. He said the price is lower than normal as it's a straight swap and the pipework is exposed so less work involved. He also said I could go for a better make such as Bosch which would be a few hundred more.

So does this sound like a good deal? Are there any questions I should be asking, or things I should ensure are included in the job?

Also is it possible to get a gas boiler that can heat water and rads separately? Currently when I turn on the gas it heats everything so if I want hot water in the taps I have to heat the rads as well.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi all, I have a Baxi solo II gas boiler in my house in Dublin. It hasn't been turned on since probably Feb or March and when someone went to turn it on last week there was no life in it at all. Anyway I got an RGI guy to look at it and he said it's kaput, probably the pcb or fan that's bust. (Both of these were replace within the past 5 years roughly).

Anyway the RGI guy said there's no point throwing good money after bad and I'd be better off getting a new boiler. He quoted me 1500 - 1600 for a new Ideal Logic 24 Kw condenser boiler including flushing the system and an inhibitor, and he would also give me a cert. He said the price is lower than normal as it's a straight swap and the pipework is exposed so less work involved. He also said I could go for a better make such as Bosch which would be a few hundred more.

So does this sound like a good deal? Are there any questions I should be asking, or things I should ensure are included in the job?

Also is it possible to get a gas boiler that can heat water and rads separately? Currently when I turn on the gas it heats everything so if I want hot water in the taps I have to heat the rads as well.

TIA

If it looks too god to be true then it is too good to be true. 1500 is way too low I'm afraid. The reason it's " lower than normal " is because he's probably cutting corners and using inferior materials and inhibitor. Ask him how long the job will take. A boiler changeover is a 2 day job or one extremely long day. Price around. Pm johnniek, shane007 or k.flyer on here. Maybe they could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If it looks too god to be true then it is too good to be true. 1500 is way too low I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply. I have no clue what the cost of this might or should be, so I don't know if it's too good to be true or not. So you're saying there's no way this could be done properly for 1500?
    1500 is way too low I'm afraid. The reason it's " lower than normal " is because he's probably cutting corners and using inferior materials and inhibitor. Ask him how long the job will take.

As far as I remember he said he would drain the system then put in some stuff and come back and drain it around 2 weeks later...does this sound right??

Thanks for your reply. I have no clue what the cost of this might or should be, so I don't know if it's too good to be true or not. So you're saying there's no way this could be done properly for 1500?

As far as I remember he said he would drain the system then put in some stuff and come back and drain it around 2 weeks later...does this sound right??

Ah. That's not a flush and that's why it's so cheap. 1500, It's a lot of money to waste. A powerflush takes several hours and must be done in order for the new boiler to work at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know my dad has a power flush and would Idealy leave it hooked up for a week or so ... (Waiting for him to do my set up - he won't till we have the heating on daily for winter)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I know my dad has a power flush and would Idealy leave it hooked up for a week or so ... (Waiting for him to do my set up - he won't till we have the heating on daily for winter)

What???? A week???
    You mean to say your dad hooks up a proper machine to your heating system for a week??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I got an RGI guy to look at it and he said it's kaput, probably the pcb or fan that's bust.

Are there any questions I should be asking, or things I should ensure are included in the job?

Presumably you paid the man for the call so I really would of been looking for more than a probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What???? A week???
    You mean to say your dad hooks up a proper machine to your heating system for a week??

Well he hasn't done it yet !!! , but I have tripped over the machine several times in his garage...
    How did people flush the system before the advent of power flush machines ? So if the system isn't too dirty could a bottle of stuff not flush it out??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Presumably you paid the man for the call so I really would of been looking for more than a probable.

I didn't pay him, he said if I got him to install the new boiler that he'd waive the call out charge. In fairness I booked him for a service and it was only when he got there that it turned out it wasn't working.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well he hasn't done it yet !!! , but I have tripped over the machine several times in his garage...
    How did people flush the system before the advent of power flush machines ? So if the system isn't too dirty could a bottle of stuff not flush it out??

No a bottle of stuff won't do. People used to take rads off and do a mediocre job of cleaning them. What type of machine has your dad got?

So can someone tell me the steps that should be taken to properly replace a gas boiler? How long does a power flush take? What's an inhibitor? The guy I got the quote from said he would put in a cleansing agent, leave it for 2 weeks and then drain. Is this a power flush??

• Advertisement

So can someone tell me the steps that should be taken to properly replace a gas boiler? How long does a power flush take? What's an inhibitor? The guy I got the quote from said he would put in a cleansing agent, leave it for 2 weeks and then drain. Is this a power flush??
    No that's not a powerflush. A powerflush involves the use of a machine which uses high velocity and low pressure to remove debris. Cleaning chemicals are added before the process and it can take anything from 6-8 hours for the normal size house. Then your boiler is fitted afterwards and inhibitor is added to your clean system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

But don't forget that a manufacturer will also be happy with a chemical flush. Which is only putting a cleaner through the system and draining it out again.

Anyways if a heating has been installed right from day one which many are a chemical flush is fine in my eyes too.
    seen a heating system today with rads about 20 years old and the water was cleaner than the day it went in!

I'd always recommend a magnetic filter be installed as standard and if the system is good I wouldn't be getting excited about power flushing every system..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

But don't forget that a manufacturer will also be happy with a chemical flush. Which is only putting a cleaner through the system and draining it out again.

Anyways if a heating has been installed right from day one which many are a chemical flush is fine in my eyes too.
    seen a heating system today with rads about 20 years old and the water was cleaner than the day it went in!

I'd always recommend a magnetic filter be installed as standard and if the system is good I wouldn't be getting excited about power flushing every system..

+1

I wouldn't install a gas boiler without a powerflush. If always leave cleaner in the ststem for about a week first and then come back and powerflush. There's no way not powerflushing will remove as much as a simple drain down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

There is a reason for sluge. If it's not addressed then it will keep happening.

If instulation is good and no pitching, (or leakage) then there is no cause of sludge.
    I've often drained a 30/40 year old system with clear water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I wouldn't install a gas boiler without a powerflush. If always leave cleaner in the ststem for about a week first and then come back and powerflush. There's no way not powerflushing will remove as much as a simple drain down

But not all systems need power flushing is what I'm saying and scudo2 is too.
    If you want to power flush every system that's fine and fair play to you but if the system is a good clean and well protected system a power flush will be no benefit to it only an extra cost to the customer.

If you want to power flush every system that's fine and fair play to you but if the system is a good clean and well protected system a power flush will be no benefit to it only an extra cost to the customer.

I hear what you're saying. Only 2 weeks ago I called to a house for a boiler change. All rads heating perfect. Clean water when bleeding. I advised a powerflush first. Even when I emptied water out of rad to put chemical in it was clean. I power flushed 3 days later expecting a not so dirty system. I got 3 full kamco/fernox large magnets of sludge from 10 average sized rads. This has happened several times to me. So that's why I never ever chance it to be honest.

You are absolutely right the level of contamination should dictate the type of flush required but like a lot of things we do I see a power flush as a preventive measure not always needed but ticking that box, the flush(at times over kill) will make sure a installer never has a cancelled warranty or is out of pocket due to contamination issues.

All the thousands of boilers that are sold i'v never had a contamination issue with any of them after a powerflush was done where as I have had many issues after a poor mans flush(mains water and chemicals).

I would advise to powerflush and fit a magnetic filter(as mentioned)as a given not because every replacement gas boiler install needs it but to prevent those unforeseen situations that can cost the installer in money and reputation.

Great discussion thanks a lot, just the info I was looking for. I finally know what a power flush is :D

Advertisement