Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you wear riding at this time of year?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am going on a horse riding holiday over in the West soon and was wondering what would you normally wear riding in the current weather?
    I don't want to be roasting but not cold either. Glove recommendations in particular would be appreciated!
    Also I have no jodhpurs, are running pants OK? I mean like these ones.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am going on a horse riding holiday over in the West soon and was wondering what would you normally wear riding in the current weather?
    I don't want to be roasting but not cold either. Glove recommendations in particular would be appreciated!
    Also I have no jodhpurs, are running pants OK? I mean like these ones.

Thanks!

Those might be a bit slippy in the saddle.
    Aldi have an equestrian bits and bobs for sale soon (next week) they may have a reasonable pair of jodhpurs too the quality is grand.

If your wearing a body protecter I'd go usually with something breathable underneath like a long sleeve sweat top thermal and a long sleeve fleece.
    That's me if your doin fast work etc.
    If you are just hacking I'd put a light waterproof coat over that.
    Gloves are always a must for me.
    I have a nice pair of fleece lined pigskin ones but any gloves will do.

What do you plan on doing.
    Is there much riding involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

monflat wrote: »

Those might be a bit slippy in the saddle.
    Aldi have an equestrian bits and bobs for sale soon (next week) they may have a reasonable pair of jodhpurs too the quality is grand.

If your wearing a body protecter I'd go usually with something breathable underneath like a long sleeve sweat top thermal and a long sleeve fleece.
    That's me if your doin fast work etc.
    If you are just hacking I'd put a light waterproof coat over that.
    Gloves are always a must for me.
    I have a nice pair of fleece lined pigskin ones but any gloves will do.

What do you plan on doing.
    Is there much riding involved?

Hi it will be a couple hours riding a day, trekking and the odd canter including on the beach which will be very cold :O
    Thanks for the tip about Aldi!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi it will be a couple hours riding a day, trekking and the odd canter including on the beach which will be very cold :O
    Thanks for the tip about Aldi!!! :)

Ok great throw in a waterproof jacket anyways. I'm warm blooded so once I have thermals on i do be well snug!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I use the jeggings from Penneys - they cost about 8quid I think.

You'll sweat a bit but it can get cold. My recommendation is layer up with tank top, long sleeve then t-shirt, and combine with a gilet - your arms are still free then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

+1 on the Aldi Jodphurs. I always wear a body protector. I wear a light fleece on top with a tshirt or something light underneath it. for the beach ride get a water proof top. Also aldi have an offer on gloves as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you're near Holmestead, they're after putting on their Facebook page that they have a set of gear for under €50, that's a coat, jodhpurs, boots and chaps. If anyone else is interested as well, it might be good to know.

Advertisement