Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving unaccompanied with Learner Permit?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey guys,

I have already finished my 12 driving lessons. Since I have no driving experience before, and I am from a foreign country(No family here). I have no chance to practise driving by myself at all. I think it would be quite unrealistic to pass the test considering about my driving skill now. Well, I do driving lessons like one hour a week. Still driving is a matter of practice. So I am wondering whether if it would be a good idea to buy a cheap second hand car with small engine, and begin to drive.

I asked some quotes from insurance company, they can give me an offer for 1200 euros/year. So the investment of getting a car would be acceptable for me.

I know this is against the rule here in Ireland now. And I heard now they are becoming more strict against learner driver driving unaccompanied. Anyway, we imagine the worst situation:
    If I got caught by garda, what would happen? (Suppose I have insurance and tax). Anyway had any these kinds of experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only answer is, don't do it.
    Novice drivers and those on learner permits can expect to be hit with a €60 fine if they are caught driving unaccompanied or not displaying 'N' or 'L' plates from August 1, the Department of Transport has confirmed.

And learners and novices will also be disqualified from driving for six months if they receive seven penalty points, instead of the normal 12 that applies to fully qualified motorists.
    http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/newly-qualified-drivers-must-show-n-plate-for-two-years-or-face-fine-30410936.html

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

If you get caught driving unaccompanied as a learner I believe you get a warning first. I've been doing it the last five months or so and I haven't run into any problems. It isn't enforced too much where I'm from and I think it's worth the risk as passing your test without getting some practice driving alone is a lot harder. It's up to you at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Is there nobody you could ask, any acquaintances at all.
    If you think you can't pass the test on your current driving skill, it's even more reason you shouldn't be driving alone. You don't have the experience or skills yet to cope with anything strictly out of the ordinary and it could end up very, very badly and a warning from the guards would be the least of your worries then

• Registered Users Posts: 32 YUYAXUAN

bluewolf wrote: »
    If you think you can't pass the test on your current driving skill, it's even more reason you shouldn't be driving alone. You don't have the experience or skills yet to cope with anything strictly out of the ordinary and it could end up very, very badly and a warning from the guards would be the least of your worries then

Hey...The problem for me is that...I am also kinda new here and I found it's a bit hard to have one friend accompanying me all the time, maybe for the weekend like 2 or 3 hours may sounds OK for them....So for me is a really tricky situation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

bluewolf wrote: »

Agreed. Do yourself and other road users a favour and don't do it. Getting a warning is the least of your worries if you kill someone.

And before I get accused of being on my high horse, I know exactly what it is like to be in the OP's position. When I moved to the US, I had no one to practice my driving with either. I just sucked it up and took the bus, until I did.

OP, where do you work? Do you have any work colleagues who could do with a free lift to work, if they agree to accompany you while you drive? Or neighbours who would like a free lift to the shops, if they agree to accompany you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 slimshady14

One piece of advice IS TO NOT put up L signs if driving alone. You are putting a target on your head and will get done. You will be fine as long as you are not speeding, using phone etc. Don't give the gaurds a reason to pull you over!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

YUYAXUAN wrote: »
    Hey...The problem for me is that...I am also kinda new here and I found it's a bit hard to have one friend accompanying me all the time, maybe for the weekend like 2 or 3 hours may sounds OK for them....So for me is a really tricky situation

well 3 hours on a weekend is still better than nothing and it's better than the alternative of going on your own. so maybe 2x 1.5 hour sessions with your friend and then your regular lessons during the week? That sounds like a start.
    One piece of advice IS TO NOT put up L signs if driving alone. You are putting a target on your head and will get done. You will be fine as long as you are not speeding, using phone etc. Don't give the gaurds a reason to pull you over!

No the OP will NOT be fine if they can't even pass the test yet. It's all fine until something happens they need to deal with, and they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Despite my warnings, my nephew done the same thing and was driving unsupervised on a provisional. Involved in a crash 4 weeks back. Now being chased by the Garda with a view to prosecution, Insurance company wont pay out and has cancelled his policy which means his insurance will go through the roof (It would be through the roof after this accident anyway BUT you have to declare if you have ever had a cancelled policy which means extra €€€) and the other driving is going through PIAB to sue for 'injuries'.

12 lessons doesn't make you a good driver and you as a learner are more likely to be involved in an accident which is why insurance is so expensive for first time/young drivers.

Do what you want- everyone else on the road seems to nowadays. Just be prepared to fully accept the consequences if and when something goes wrong. Because when it does, you won't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

If you're driving against your insurance you may as well not bother being insured in the first place. If you have an accident they won't pay out when they find out a Learner was the only person in the car, all they will do is void the policy and your next insurance will be massive.

I'm not saying drive uninsured, I'm saying that if you drive alone as a learner and you damage your/someone else's car you're fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Do favours for people in return for them accompanying you driving. You have been here about a year ( based on when you joined Boards ). So you must know people in work or college or wherever. Use whatever skills you have: fix their computer, cook a dinner for them, babysit their kids, etc. in return for them driving with you.
    Then get another bundle of lessons and try pass the driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 slimshady14

Craftylee wrote: »
    If you're driving against your insurance you may as well not bother being insured in the first place. If you have an accident they won't pay out when they find out a Learner was the only person in the car, all they will do is void the policy and your next insurance will be massive.

I'm not saying drive uninsured, I'm saying that if you drive alone as a learner and you damage your/someone else's car you're fooked.

Thats a myth, other cars are covered! Your car is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Ever thought of an intensive driving course OP..?
    For what you're thinking of shelling out for insurance would cover the cost.

http://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/index.php/fees-prices-driving-lessons-dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

Thats a myth, other cars are covered! Your car is not.

Yes - I said you (as in the learner driver) are screwed. Other drivers as long as they're insured will be fine (in terms of insurance, not injury wise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

OP, the worst case scenario is not getting stopped. It's you killing someone because you're incompetent behind the wheel (something you admit to yourself). As has been pointed out, you're driving uninsured if you have no accompanying driver. Get a friend to accompany you at the weekend for an hour or so. If you need more, consider putting up an ad or putting a leaflet through your neighbours doors explaining your sotuation and offering to trade their time for your time (cut their lawn, walk dog, whatever you want to agree to). But please, for the safety of the rest of us, don't do it.

Limbo123 wrote: »
    was driving unsupervised on a provisional. Involved in a crash 4 weeks back. Insurance company wont pay out and has cancelled his policy

I also know a chap that was in a crash as an L driver, with no accompanied full licensed driver. The insurance company didn't seem to care too much.

So much so, it was never even brought up.

Your post screams of scaremongering, to be honest.

Searching boards seems to bring up many people with the same experience as mine (insurance company not caring).

OP, there are a lot of laws that are unworkable in this country. Personally, I drove a lot on my own, with my L plates up. Unless the Gardai are sent out to specifically target L drivers (which they never really are) you'll be grand.

I was never really bothered by the Gardai when I was driving on my provisional, but the times I was, they didn't mention me having no accompanied licensed driver.

I'm fairly sure that, even if a Garda did say it to you, if you were up front and honest with him, he'd send you on your way. This country makes having a car almost essential, and most Gardai are generally sound enough people who realise this. I'm sure they'll come down hard on a few people for it, but I find the people who tend to suffer the 'wrath' of the Gardai, are mostly the kind of people that taunt and annoy them.

A bit of manners goes both ways.

Just make sure that your initial alone-drives are at night or such, when the roads are quieter, and get a good grip on what you're doing. I'd say i was driving strictly at night time for about 2 weeks, every night, before I seen daylight in the car. I knew the most common roads like the back of my hand before i went near them with traffic on them.

I'd never, ever have passed my test on my first go without driving alone (and in all honesty, my choices were limited to either drive alone, or just dont drive. So I'd rather the drive alone option, personally).

But do yourself a favour and DO keep the L plates up. If you're stopped at least the garda knows youre being somewhat responsible by warning other drivers of your lack of experience. Rather than trying to hide it to sneak around under the radar. They'll not be too impressed with that one (and rightly so).

But again.. that's just my experience. Take it with the pinch of salt it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

OP, I was doing something during the year that would of met your needs perfectly. https://www.facebook.com/LearnerDriverSponsor/info

I raised a considerable sum for charity http://www.mycharity.ie/event/matthew_moores_event and there is an ever growing demand for something like this. However, demand is nowhere near where it should be as there is so little enforcement.

For the moment I've had to step back a little due to starting college (as a mature student) and having a baby 7 weeks ago. I do hope to pick it up agin in the New Year but in the meantime I would encourage anybody with a full license who thinks they would be able to help somebody like the OP to give what I was doing a try. Just 2 hours a week could be €1000 for charity a year.
    Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

OP, everything else aside, don't break the law, regardless of whether you've been here all your life or just a day; you never know when it'll come back to bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

YUYAXUAN wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have already finished my 12 driving lessons. Since I have no driving experience before, and I am from a foreign country(No family here). I have no chance to practise driving by myself at all. I think it would be quite unrealistic to pass the test considering about my driving skill now. Well, I do driving lessons like one hour a week. Still driving is a matter of practice. So I am wondering whether if it would be a good idea to buy a cheap second hand car with small engine, and begin to drive.

I asked some quotes from insurance company, they can give me an offer for 1200 euros/year. So the investment of getting a car would be acceptable for me.

I know this is against the rule here in Ireland now. And I heard now they are becoming more strict against learner driver driving unaccompanied. Anyway, we imagine the worst situation:
    If I got caught by garda, what would happen? (Suppose I have insurance and tax). Anyway had any these kinds of experience?

There but for the Grace of God (go I) comes to my mind with myself, looking back.

On reflection over this past week, have you made any decision?
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP do an automatic car driving test. It is easier to pass & will get you out on the road quicker
    You wont be able to drive manuals but you do that later on.....plenty on automatic cars for sale round the country

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Help!!!! wrote: »
    OP do an automatic car driving test. It is easier to pass & will get you out on the road quicker
    You wont be able to drive manuals but you do that later on.....plenty on automatic cars for sale round the country

Much easier to do one test, rather than two imo.

Once you have the automatic, the chances of you going back, and doing a manual test are slim. And for the moment at least, there aren't as many autos as manuals, especially if you're at the cheaper end of the car market. And there's the problem of renting cars on the continent, which will often mean the cheaper selections are out of the question due to them being manual cars. And also driving friends/family cars could be difficult if that arises, which it will at some time or another.

More lessons, and getting more familiar with a manual car is the ideal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Hi OP!
    I understand your predicament as I have been in the same situation myself.

I am glad to see that Moomat posted a reply to you - I was one of the learner drivers that took advantage of his charitable offer and got a lot of supervised driving hours under the belt over the last number of months.

It would be great to see other experienced drivers offer to do something similar for other learner drivers - just check out his Mycharity page link above to get the jist of it.

And if you know of someone who wants to raise money for charity maybe suggest this as a productive alternative for raising funds for a chosen good cause.

If any of you have questions about it feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement