Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a 7 or 8" tablet for around €200?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I want to pick up a 7 or 8" tablet for my mums xmas gift.

I was thinking of a galaxy tab 4 but they don't have great reviews online.

She wont need lots of storage on it, just decent battery life, a good screen and official android updates would be nice.

I was looking at the nexus 7.... Do you guys think it will come down in price when the nexus 9 is released?

Would love to hear some recommendations

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hey guys,

I want to pick up a 7 or 8" tablet for my mums xmas gift.

I was thinking of a galaxy tab 4 but they don't have great reviews online.

She wont need lots of storage on it, just decent battery life, a good screen and official android updates would be nice.

I was looking at the nexus 7.... Do you guys think it will come down in price when the nexus 9 is released?

Would love to hear some recommendations

Thanks guys

I have had both nexus 7,s and couldn't recommend them highly enough in all respects.the 16 GB should be enough if your mother doesn't need lots of space.I,m not too sure of the current pricing,but the nexus 9 is due for official launch on November 3rd,so if you can wait for 2-3 weeks there's no doubt that the 2013 nexus 7 will fall in price if indeed it hasn't already.also,the nexus 7 will be getting the latest android (lollipop). Super screen and all round performance.

Just seen this on Argos,its only 20 euro above your budget

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1388381/Trail/searchtext>NEXUS+7.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

That does look excellent but I see it runs on an old version of Android.

Id like something that gets official Android updates but thanks for the link :)

Edit: I just seen its getting the lollipop update

I have had both nexus 7,s and couldn't recommend them highly enough in all respects.the 16 GB should be enough if your mother doesn't need lots of space.I,m not too sure of the current pricing,but the nexus 9 is due for official launch on November 3rd,so if you can wait for 2-3 weeks there's no doubt that the 2013 nexus 7 will fall in price if indeed it hasn't already.also,the nexus 7 will be getting the latest android (lollipop). Super screen and all round performance.

Just seen this on Argos,its only 20 euro above your budget

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1388381/Trail/searchtext>NEXUS+7.htm

Thanks for replying mate

Ive heard nothing but good things about the nexus 7

How do you find the battery life?

Thanks for replying mate

Ive heard nothing but good things about the nexus 7

How do you find the battery life?

Obviously depends if you are p!aying HD games or watching movies,but in general about 7-8 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Xiaomi Mipad can be gotten for a little over 200 if you'd be willing to go Chinese? I couldn't recommend it enough, it had a great battery life, monthly updates, beautiful screen, and an SD card slot too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Highly recommend the Nexus 7 2013.

If L preview on Nexus 7 is any indicator of final release coming in 2 weeks, ART improves the battery life a good bit.
    I never used the option to switch my N7 to ART in KitKat, but for me Lollipop seems to be using about 30% less juice than KitKat/Dalvik for the same tasks and duration.

Anybody know the cheapest place to get a nexus 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Would you be willing to buy a refurbished model?
    I picked up a 32GB for €180 refurbished a few months ago
    The 16GB is about €161 refurbished from same place.
    See this post in the Nexus 9 thread for my experience http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92544655&postcount=40
    It might help you decide if this option is any good to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭peteroregan

I have this since May and find it amazing. Not sure if it's getting lollipop though.
    On katkat at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone care to comment on this ?

http://www.expansys.ie/tag2.aspx?tag=Google_Nexus_7_Bundle

I have this since May and find it amazing. Not sure if it's getting lollipop though.
    On katkat at the moment.

it will be getting lollipop for sure.

dodzy wrote: »

wouldn't be for me, but its a great price if you wanted to take a chance on a refurbished 2012 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

HMV are selling the 2012 model Nexus 7 for €129.99 - Not sure if it is the 16GB or 32GB model

http://www.hmv.ie/Google-Nexus-7-7-inch-Tablet-2012-/movies-games-entertainment/pd/55965?path=Category__Electronics__tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

I think the 80€ is a great price for the 16gb with the free cover. Just FYI, there is a 90 day warranty with these refurbs.

it will be getting lollipop for sure.

amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FEEIWEI?cache=d4844fb1c2fe6c99bb28de491c867c39&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1413970741&sr=8-2#ref=mp_s_a_1_2
    just put a www before it

amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FEEIWEI?cache=d4844fb1c2fe6c99bb28de491c867c39&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1413970741&sr=8-2#ref=mp_s_a_1_2
    just put a www before it

Not sure if this will be getting lollipop, its running jellybean,if it is i would guess it will be 6 months or so down the road.not a bad tablet spec wise though.i think theres a thread about that tablet.

Not sure if this will be getting lollipop, its running jellybean,if it is i would guess it will be 6 months or so down the road.not a bad tablet spec wise though.i think theres a thread about that tablet.
    As i mentioned in my first post I'm on kitkat since June.

Advertisement