Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss and Jobbridge

Options
  • 21-10-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of background, I have 6 years experience working in PR/Communications but I don't have a huge amount of experience in digital marketing so after I finished a course, I opted to take on a jobbridge to help me with this.

I am here about 12 weeks and it is ok, but I decided for financial reasons that I would put more effort into finding a job. The market is really picking up and I am getting called for interviews about once a day.

The problem is, my boss is making me incredibly guilty about attending these. I am 32, very strong minded and I have learned a lot about standing up for myself but he just won't listen and starts moaning about how I made a commitment. (I actually told him from the beginning that I was looking for PAID work and that I would probably only do two/three months).

I had to cancel an interview yesterday because of him interfering and now I really don't want to tell him about another one on Thursday.

What do I do? Should I just tell him to stuff it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

You're only entitled to annual leave while on jobbridge, and annual leave is decided by your employer. If you're attending a lot of interviews he has every right to be annoyed because it's disruptive.

So your employer is right. You did make the commitment, and you're not entitled to time off. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tenifan wrote: »
    You're only entitled to annual leave while on jobbridge, and annual leave is decided by your employer. If you're attending a lot of interviews he has every right to be annoyed because it's disruptive.

So your employer is right. You did make the commitment, and you're not entitled to time off. That being said, there's nothing stopping you from leaving.

Sorry, but that's absolutely untrue.

The FAQ's for Jobridge (http://www.jobbridge.ie/toolkit/faqintern.pdf) clearly state that
    Although you are not an employee of the company you should still be given adequate time off for attending job interviews during the placement to visit your local Social Welfare Office and Employment Services Office in order to facilitate your job seeking activities.

This is not the same as annual leave, which is covered in another section.

OP, I say take no notice of his moaning. Simply refer him to the terms and conditions, and tell him when you have job interviews. Also, tell him that if he would prefer you don't look for work elsewhere, then he is welcome to offer you a paid position. Be extremely polite and professional during this discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Sorry, but that's absolutely untrue.

My bad!

Advertisement