Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dreaded DOMS

Options
  • 21-10-2014 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

i'll start off by saying am not looking for medical advice.

Started back training 2 weeks ago after 3 weeks off. 3 swims/3 bikes/3 runs a week nice and easy.....Specific turbo work has started with some low cadence strength work pedalling.holding top level 2 during these intervals. These intervals are fairly easy to hold and are 3 mins in duration with 2 mins rest in between. My problem is not with the set. My problem is the pains i am getting in my legs a few hours later while sitting at my desk and my legs are stationery. The dreaded delayed onset muscle soreness. Anyone any tips on how to avoid these? or deal with these?

Cheers
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

i'll start off by saying am not looking for medical advice.

Started back training 2 weeks ago after 3 weeks off. 3 swims/3 bikes/3 runs a week nice and easy.....Specific turbo work has started with some low cadence strength work pedalling.holding top level 2 during these intervals. These intervals are fairly easy to hold and are 3 mins in duration with 2 mins rest in between. My problem is not with the set. My problem is the pains i am getting in my legs a few hours later while sitting at my desk and my legs are stationery. The dreaded delayed onset muscle soreness. Anyone any tips on how to avoid these? or deal with these?

Cheers
    B

Seems strange that you would be getting these DOMS of what should be an easy session. Foam roll and compression is the only two things i can think of but never really suffer doms from the bike, more from a hard run session.

Likely a stupid question but is it cold at your desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

one could argue that what you do during your sessions is too hard what you can handle right now so shorten the overgeared work a bit until you do not get doms. and then built it up

another solution could be you need move a bit more during work and maybe need a longer wu and cool down at tubo session

or a mix of 1 and 2

would not use voltarene etc .

also maybe you are quite tight and havent streched during rest periodes.... at our age not so easy to deal with anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Seems strange that you would be getting these DOMS of what should be an easy session. Foam roll and compression is the only two things i can think of but never really suffer doms from the bike, more from a hard run session.

Likely a stupid question but is it cold at your desk?

No not at all. Just seems to come on when legs not moving. Cheers
    peter kern wrote: »
    one could argue that what you do during your sessions is too hard what you can handle right now so shorten the overgeared work a bit until you do not get doms. and then built it up

another solution could be you need move a bit more during work and maybe need a longer wu and cool down at tubo session

or a mix of 1 and 2

would not use voltarene etc .

also maybe you are quite tight and havent streched during rest periodes.... at our age not so easy to deal with anymore.

All makes sense. Stretching whats that ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

What is your seating position like? Try a footstool under your desk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Muscle or Joint pain?
    DOMs usually set in 24-72 hrs from the session but if the exercise was a shock to the system it could be hours.

I often get them at night and can't settle. Feels like the legs need to stretch or a few squats to settle.

Often alleviated with easy work. Sitting at the desk or on the couch not great.

Get up and walk around if possible. Can't beat Epsom salt bath to sooth the ache

• Advertisement

Muscle or Joint pain?
    DOMs usually set in 24-72 hrs from the session but if the exercise was a shock to the system it could be hours.

I often get them at night and can't settle. Feels like the legs need to stretch or a few squats to settle.

Often alleviated with easy work. Sitting at the desk or on the couch not great.

Get up and walk around if possible. Can't beat Epsom salt bath to sooth the ache

Cheers Shotgun. I reckon its down to a combination of the big gear work and the single leg pedalling drills am doing.Will prob take a few weeks to settle. I got similar back in March when i introduced running drills to my routine.... Muscualr pain and worse when sititng but absolutely fine when moving around. Not to be confused with lactic acid build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Have you recently changed position / cleats at all? any changes to equipment - saddle/bars?

trinewbie wrote: »
    Have you recently changed position / cleats at all? any changes to equipment - saddle/bars?
    Yes increased the height of my saddle on my road bike but forgot to do it on my tt bike. did roadie spin saturday no issues. But did tt turbo on tuesday as have not switched powermeter over yet. Could be the reason?

Legs feel better today after sleep last night and 11k easy run this morning. no leg pains.

Advertisement