Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Minor" Car body work

Options
  • 21-10-2014 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys. My car failed it's nct. The guy at the center said there was corrosion on the door sill. I said fair enough and went home.

I inspected my door and there is a 'tiny' bit of rust on the door. Less than the size of a euro.

I don't want to bring my car to a body shop for such a minuscule job.

Does anybody know of a mechanic in Galway who could patch this up in the most basic way possible?
    A buddy of mine said it just needs to be sanded, filled and painted. Id attempt it myself but Im terrible at that type of thing.

I've been one place in salthill already but he turned the job down.

Thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've used neliusautobody.com

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

Cheers, I came a cross those guys before. It's kinda far away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Did you go under the car and check the floor & sill? I'd bet there's more than you can see underneath the car. The NCT would not fail a car for a rust patch on a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Hey guys. My car failed it's nct. The guy at the center said there was corrosion on the door sill. I said fair enough and went home.

I inspected my door and there is a 'tiny' bit of rust on the door. Less than the size of a euro.

I don't want to bring my car to a body shop for such a minuscule job.

Does anybody know of a mechanic in Galway who could patch this up in the most basic way possible?
    A buddy of mine said it just needs to be sanded, filled and painted. Id attempt it myself but Im terrible at that type of thing.

I've been one place in salthill already but he turned the job down.

Thanks,

The door sill is not part of the door. The chances are you are looking at the wrong spot. The door sill is part of the chassis and is paramount to the strength of the car. I'ts the door step if you like. Look in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

They won't pass fillers either it needs to be cut and welded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

They won't pass fillers either it needs to be cut and welded

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

This is definitely underbody sill rust.
    They won't fail you on a touch of rust on a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

Dayum...

The general consensus here seems to be there's rust on the under body not the door. I'll check this eve.

I reckon my bank account is going to become sad

Advertisement