Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 70.30 - discussion and advice

Options
  • 20-10-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like this race will happen. However there is scant information available on course, transitions, etc etc.

Also acknowledging as well that this event will draw a huge about of people to the event that would not be aware of the resources (coaches and clubs) and approaches to training and racing I think it would be good to have a discussion thread for the WTC Dublin 70.30 (aka Ironman Dublin).

Speculation on whether it will actually happen etc etc should be left elsewhere. The intention would be that this thread would be the landing point for anyone looking to take part in Dublin 70.30 and that all have a positive and informative experience.

Starting with the newbies - anyone going to do this as their first half ironman

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Advice for someone attempting half iron distance for the first time?

Start now, with a plan. You wont be doing epic training for ages, but you need to get into the routine.
    The training you hate doing usually points to the discipline you need the most training in.
    Read race plans, competitor emails, know what youre meant to do, and when. Know what the course entails, including potential conditions.
    Practice nutrition in training. At this distance, it begins to matter.

I dont know the course, but presume it will be a hilly bike. I mean, there are some delicious hills around, they have to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I would add to Oryx s advice that for beginners wanting to participate , to consider and be realistc about it , if they have the time to get fit for the race, or to consider that it might be a better idea to train for shorter distances first and then move up to the half distance when ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Course speculation from me... Swim out in Dun Laoghaire, bike course around Wicklow, T2... I had a look for open areas in the city centre but without much luck. Maybe the Aviva or RDS? Run wise I hink out to the coast, along and back into Merrion would work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If they don't need to bring in Wicklow CoCo I think they will avoid it - and try to work out a bike course that utilises the Dublin mountains, perhaps even a loop system. On the other hand I was trying to think of alternatives to a sea swim in the Dublin area - Liffey is one candidate but I'm not sure they want the bikes in the city centre - or do they - a bike leg that followed some of the closing KMs of the Giro culminating in T2 at Merrion Sq with a city centre start/finish or a 2 x ~10KM run loop might be doable? Coast run definitely has promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

My course speculation is based on conversations with senior Garda who have been involved in some of the early planning meetings. It may all change however as the local politician who was driving this is no longer around. It may also be complete bs on their part :D

Swim and T1 will be in Scotsmans Bay in Dun Laoighre. Competitors will be bused here from the City Ctr that morning if they cant make their own way. This may mean a slightly later than normal start for a HIM.

Bike will be out to Wicklow, not sure of route yet or if laps being considered. Return to Dublin city ctr will be via Clonskeagh Road but not sure of this is from the M50 or the N11.

T2 in City Ctr with run along the quays. Finish in Merrion Square.

I did see an alternate 'Northside' route proposed by some but I don't think the organisers are that keen on it at all.

I'm sure it'll all change a number of times before the actual day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thanks griffin, sounds entirely plausible. Do share if you get anymore tidbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

T2 is the one that interests me, they will need a decent sized car park or green area.. I am not sure what they could use.

Edit: Maybe Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mloc123 wrote: »
    T2 is the one that interests me, they will need a decent sized car park or green area.. I am not sure what they could use.

Edit: Maybe Trinity

You could easily close mount street upper for a weekend either. Probably a few more streets in that area that are dead at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

When i first heard the rumour at the start of the year it was Trinity for T2. Trinity were on board a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

I'm glad 70.3 is coming to Dublin next year. Having only 'got into' triathlons recently it'll be great to see. I'm tempted to enter but I'm a bad swimmer, currently getting lessons with local club. As a swim novice, can't manage 25meters (yet) would it be foolish of me to consider entering 70.3 for next year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    I'm glad 70.3 is coming to Dublin next year. Having only 'got into' triathlons recently it'll be great to see. I'm tempted to enter but I'm a bad swimmer, currently getting lessons with local club. As a swim novice, can't manage 25meters (yet) would it be foolish of me to consider entering 70.3 for next year?

Yes, of course it would be foolish, you can't swim. No-one would even consider doing a long cycle race 10 months on from when they couldn't ride a bike; why is the swim considered any different? You're doing the correct thing by getting lessons, but the time to ask if you can do a 70.3 (or any Tri distance) is after you've learned to swim, not before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Yes, of course it would be foolish, you can't swim. No-one would even consider doing a long cycle race 10 months on from when they couldn't ride a bike; why is the swim considered any different? You're doing the correct thing by getting lessons, but the time to ask if you can do a 70.3 (or any Tri distance) is after you've learned to swim, not before.

Bit harsh. They've just said they're getting lessons...it's a year away. Highly unlikely they'll be unable to do a 1900m swim in 10 months time unless they're a really crap swimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

I started to learn how to swim 9 months before my 1st half ironman and got through it with no problems,I wasn't quick but I did it,you should go for it and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It will all depend on what your intentions are. I see plenty of folks breast stroking through sprint/oly races every year.

If you can get to grips with swimming and get your breathing right there's no reason at all why you couldn't enter and complete a 70.3. I say this assuming you're capable on the bike and run discipline.

I started out like most with swimming as my weakness and now it's my strength.

Anyway if your plan is to take part and soak up the atmosphere and tick it off the list you should be fine. Ignore the comments otherwise. I assumed this thread was opened to encourage and advise not criticise those for dreaming.

Ten months is enough time to go from couch potato to ironman. If you put the effort in you should be ok. You should make sure you get sea swim experience as early as possible next summer as this will be the toughest part.

Bit harsh.

Bit harsh saying I was a bit harsh. It's honest advice- signing up for a 1.9k sea swim before you can swim 25m is premature. Based on the swim capabilities of some triathletes I've witnessed, I think its worth stressing that you need to be a capable swimmer for the race (or else swim races get curtailed or cancelled because back-of-pack ability and safety issues). The poster is getting lessons, and that's certainly the right way to go. They should then sign up when they can swim, that's my point.

I'd much prefer the hoopla around this HIM got a lot more Irish people into the pool, into the sea, and improving their swimming ability. I don't think a thread here full of "Go for it" and "You can do it" will do much to improve anyone (no matter how much that seems to annoy some people). IMO.

There's probably a lot of non-swimmers here who will not get coached lessons and are unsure of how to improve their swim abilities. It might be an idea to have some sort of beginner-to-2k swim thread here over the next few months. Of course this would be less than ideal when compared to one-on-one or group coaching, but it might help some along so they can treat the swim as part of the race, rather than just something that has to be completed in an irrelevant slow time.

The poster is getting lessons, and that's certainly the right way to go. They should then sign up when they can swim, that's my point.

In an ideal world this would be obvious. However with registration likely to open soon and more than likely to sell out quickly OP is obviously planning ahead.

I went from struggling through 2 lengths front crawl to swimming 2k 4days/week. In saying that I was lucky to work next to a gym/pool.

OP foolish maybe. Doable definitely.

As for a page telling people to go for it. What's wrong with encouragement. We'd still be knockin women on the heads and dragging them back to the cave with that foresight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

griffin100 wrote: »
    Ten months is enough time to go from couch potato to ironman. If you put the effort in you should be ok. You should make sure you get sea swim experience as early as possible next summer as this will be the toughest part.
    Bit harsh saying I was a bit harsh. It's honest advice- signing up for a 1.9k sea swim before you can swim 25m is premature. Based on the swim capabilities of some triathletes I've witnessed, I think its worth stressing that you need to be a capable swimmer for the race (or else swim races get curtailed or cancelled because back-of-pack ability and safety issues). The poster is getting lessons, and that's certainly the right way to go. They should then sign up when they can swim, that's my point.

I'd much prefer the hoopla around this HIM got a lot more Irish people into the pool, into the sea, and improving their swimming ability. I don't think a thread here full of "Go for it" and "You can do it" will do much to improve anyone (no matter how much that seems to annoy some people). IMO.

There's probably a lot of non-swimmers here who will not get coached lessons and are unsure of how to improve their swim abilities. It might be an idea to have some sort of beginner-to-2k swim thread here over the next few months. Of course this would be less than ideal when compared to one-on-one or group coaching, but it might help some along so they can treat the swim as part of the race, rather than just something that has to be completed in an irrelevant slow time.

Griff posted good advice. Yours was just harsh.

Lizzylad, I was well capable of swimming 3K+ in the pool by the time I did my first tri but had no open water experience. While I could still freestyle, my sighting etc was brutal. By the time I hit race 3 I was fine. Everyone has to start somewhere and some of the best swimmers on here could give similar stories to me. My second race was an olympic and the swim was cut short, I was disgusted!

Far more productive to support their swimming lessons and offer advice on getting OW experience down the line than just being patronising. No reason not to plan ahead and use the 70.3 as motivation to keep getting in the pool and keep working hard at it. Some people need an end goal as motivation.

A swim thread is a great idea.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    In an ideal world this would be obvious. However with registration likely to open soon and more than likely to sell out quickly OP is obviously planning ahead.

There doesn't seem to be any swim proficiency declaration to enter a HIM; my mistake I thought there was.

RQ if you think I would patronise anyone asking about swim abilities then goodnight.

There doesn't seem to be any swim proficiency declaration to enter a HIM; my mistake I thought there was.

Common sense would be the best declaration.

OP seems to be aware of and working on his weakness/lack of ability he's just aware of time constraints on entry I'd imagine.

Unlike at least 10% of entries who I imagine will get caught up in the panic for places and either never line up or miss cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

RQ if you think I would patronise anyone asking about swim abilities then goodnight.
    Ironman will tell you at the briefing that standing at the start line is your declaration that you are fit to race. Their cutoffs are sharp, and the safety standards assume competence. If you struggle in the swim and don't make the cutoff that's down to you. It takes a lot for them to cancel a swim, so to anyone considering it off low experience, be cautious. A basic level is expected of you. Can you reach it in ten months? Yes but it will require a lot of work.

It's 1,900m ffs, not a 10km. You can go from not being able to swim two lengths to comfortably doing a 750m in 12 weeks, I know I did (albeit slowly). Ten months is more than enough time to get to 1,900m which is little more than an OD race. The main thing is being comfortable in ow. There's no big deal or mystique to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I understand where KG is coming from but sometimes you just sign up, learn and get it done somehow.

More than doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I understand where KG is coming from but sometimes you just sign up, learn and get it done somehow.

More than doable.

Kurts point is more related to "ooohhh look its a bit windy, better cancel the swim. half the field are barely able to swim." which happens in TI races

I am sure of course that everyone doing Dublin 70.30 will be suitably prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Kurts point is more related to "ooohhh look its a bit windy, better cancel the swim. half the field are barely able to swim." which happens in TI races

I am sure of course that everyone doing Dublin 70.30 will be suitably prepared

I am referring to post 12, if everything was foolish we would never attempt anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

IronMan has a waiver you must sign to participate in their events that basically tells you over and over again that if you die during their race, including especially death by drowning, it is not their fault. In fact, this waiver is so strongly worded that it even gave me pause to consider what I was signing up to do. However, I am frequently impressed by the strides and improvement one can make in any discipline if they really put their mind to it. So, lizzylad, will you be proficient enough to safely complete the swim portion of an IM 70.3 in your specified time period? Probably the best person to give you an educated guess regarding your potential is your swim coach since he/she is the one who has laid eyes on you while in the pool. And don't forget, you can always sign up for Dublin 70.3 with the knowledge that you don't have to show up on the day if you aren't ready. IM is very specific about cancellation/refund/possible transfer to another event, and I'd review these carefully before writing that check payable to IronMan Dublin.

One of my reasons for thinking this event wouldn't work was the historical apathy of Dubliners to endurance events. DCM yesterday was different to the other marathons I did in Dublin. Support the whole way around. Perhaps Dubs could get behind it.

PS if you cannot swim targeting a HIM next year is a silly idea, yes you *could* do it, doesn't mean you *should*. Pot/kettle/etc

tunney wrote: »
    .. yes you *could* do it, doesn't mean you *should*. Pot/kettle/etc

That's a whole different discussion that some of us really need to have with ourselves ;)

Might as well stick this year.

The rumour doing the rounds is that the Dublin 70.30 entry fee is €400. Assuming that its the €120 higher than other races "cause of the Irish costs"

• Advertisement

Ouch! It'll hardly sell out quickly at that price.

It'd want to be some goody bag or have a bank draft for €200 in it.

Advertisement