Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking a Monitor

Options
  • 20-10-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭

I have been going truly dotty.... pardon the pun..... trying to pick a monitor over the last few days for essentially this PC here and I plan to replace this monitor here which just died a death.

I do not game SO much any more and when I do it tends to be not FPS but Bioware type games (Dragon age, Mass Effect, Dark Souls, X-COM).

Otherwise I watch movies or TV shows on the monitor and I look at maps for Ingress (so the more map that fits clearly onto a screen at one time the better).

My price maximum is around €250, but I would push that if warranted by a good argument but certainly not beyond €350.

A lot of reviews I have read led me to the "Dell U2412M 61 cm (24 Zoll) LED-Monitor" for about €220.

This has an E-IPS panel and I was told IPS is the best for gaming of any type. But this monitor has an 8ms reaction time which is relatively low.

However since then I have dance around a few other monitors and I just can not decide!!! LG Monitors seem to have a lot of 27" options for between €160 - €250

So here are my questions:
    1. A lot of these 27" Monitors are panel type TN. Is that something really to avoid in my position? I also see some very cheap BenQ monitors (All around the €120 mark) with 1-2ms reaction times but TN panels. Is TN so bad?? Or would someone like me even notice?
    2. Is bigger really better? Will I appreciate the extra 3"? Or is 1920x1080 spread over 3 more inches significantly worse? The cheapest 27" I see with a bigger resolution is the "DGM IPS-2701WPH, 27"" with 2560x1440 for €250. Or an LG 25UM65-P 25" for €175. I guess I would certainly appreciate it when looking at google maps and Ingress maps?
    3. The higher end of those LGs are listed as "3d capable (passive)". Is this significant really?
    4. Is the reaction times (most of them are 5ms, a couple are 2ms) truly significant in my case compared with the 8ms of the Dell?
    5. Would I be better off with any other monitor for this price range, size range, and requirements and if so why?

Advertisement