Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some Qs: Cross-hand turning? Learn manual but taking auto exam? Clutchless/semi auto?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I have some questions... Would appreciate some advice.

I have driven in Canada and we were taught to not use the "pull push method" but to use the "cross-hand method" instead. Is it going to cost me marks if I turn that way here in the driving exam?

Also, I am planning to learn manual over here. But if in the end (or halfway) after the 12 compulsory EDT lessons I find out that it's not manageable, could I still do the automatic exam after the six months?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit: Two more questions, since I won't have a car until after the full license and with no sponsor, could I get extra practice with ADIs outside the 12xEDTs? And can I use the ADI's car to do the final driving test? Cheers

Edit 2: Do I need the manual license to drive a semi-automatic transmission, clutch-less car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thorin

I'm not a driving tester, but I've had multiple instructors tell me not to cross my hands on the wheel. It seems that it's regarded as safer if you don't take your hands off the wheel, but rather slide it through your grip.

You can do the test in a car with an automatic gearbox, but your license will only allow you to drive automatics. If you ever wanted to switch to a manual (because automatics are relatively rare over here), you'd need to do the test again in a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

Thorin wrote: »
    I'm not a driving tester, but I've had multiple instructors tell me not to cross my hands on the wheel. It seems that it's regarded as safer if you don't take your hands off the wheel, but rather slide it through your grip.

You can do the test in a car with an automatic gearbox, but your license will only allow you to drive automatics. If you ever wanted to switch to a manual (because automatics are relatively rare over here), you'd need to do the test again in a manual.

Okay, I guess I better get used to the push and pull method then.

Yep, I know about the restrictions of the automatic license. Just want to know if I can change midway after starting to learn manual if I decide it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

vermilions wrote: »

I have driven in Canada and we were taught to not use the "pull push method" but to use the "cross-hand method" instead. Is it going to cost me marks if I turn that way here in the driving exam?

Also, I am planning to learn manual over here. But if in the end (or halfway) after the 12 compulsory EDT lessons I find out that it's not manageable, could I still do the automatic exam after the six months?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit: Two more questions, since I won't have a car until after the full license and with no sponsor, could I get extra practice with ADIs outside the 12xEDTs? And can I use the ADI's car to do the final driving test? Cheers

You can do the test in whatever car you want, as long as it is road worthy. You can do extra lessons, (over and above the 12 mandatory ED ones) but you'll have to pay for them. The instructors aren't going to give you them for free, just because you are paying for the 12 official EDT ones. If you choose to do the test in the instructors car, you'll have to pay for that too.

Could you not just buy a car and learn in that? That is what I did when I moved back here from the US. I had to do the 12 EDT lessons as I never had an Irish license. As I had a car to practice my driving in, the 12 lessons were more than enough to get me to where I needed to be, to pass the test. The hand over hand was an issue for me too, but it didn't take too longer to master the push/pull method. I actually found that I liked it. I started doing it in my day to day driving, not just during lessons. I felt that that it gave me better control of the steering wheel in tight situations, such as going around roundabouts.

If you have just moved back here and you have a valid Canadian license, you can drive on that for up to a year, before you have to switch to an Irish one. If you have a valid Canadian license, you also don't have to wait the 6 months to sit your test. You can sit it whenever you want.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You can do the test in whatever car you want, as long as it is road worthy. You can do extra lessons, (over and above the 12 mandatory ED ones) but you'll have to pay for them. The instructors aren't going to give you them for free, just because you are paying for the 12 official EDT ones. If you choose to do the test in the instructors car, you'll have to pay for that too.

Could you not just buy a car and learn in that? That is what I did when I moved back here from the US. I had to do the 12 EDT lessons as I never had an Irish license. As I had a car to practice my driving in, the 12 lessons were more than enough to get me to where I needed to be, to pass the test. The hand over hand was an issue for me too, but it didn't take too longer to master the push/pull method. I actually found that I liked it. I started doing it in my day to day driving, not just during lessons. I felt that that it gave me better control of the steering wheel in tight situations, such as going around roundabouts.

If you have just moved back here and you have a valid Canadian license, you can drive on that for up to a year, before you have to switch to an Irish one. If you have a valid Canadian license, you also don't have to wait the 6 months to sit your test. You can sit it whenever you want.

Thanks for your replies! Yeah I know about the extra fees for renting their car and for extra lessons if need be.

I can't really get the car, defeats the purpose as I have no sponsor and therefore cannot practice on my own in the L permit. As for the Canadian license, I only have the first part of the road exam done, not including the second road test, so it's not a full license. Guess I'll have to wait the 6 months...

Oh, does anyone know if there's a parking component in the Irish driving test?

Oh right, sorry. I thought from your original post that you had a full Canadian license.

There is no specific part of the test that assesses your parking ability, other than at the very start and the end of the test. At the start of the test, your car should be parked properly. If you were improperly parked on double yellow lines, or too close to a corner, or with one end of the car sticking out, you could be marked down for that. When you are returning to the test centre, the instructor will still be judging everything that you do. So again, if you park badly or improperly, you'll be marked down for it.

During the test, you will be told to pull over to the curb, so that you can do the three point turn part of the test. That will happen again, when he wants you to do the reverse around the corner part of the test. How well you pull into the curb, make the car safe & how well you observe and indicate before you move off again, will all be judged. It's not parking in the traditional sense, in that he is not judging how well you can manouver the car into a parking space. But you are stopping the car and then moving off again, so all of the component parts of doing that safely and properly will be judged.

• Advertisement

No, I'm sorry, I didn't state clearly in the original post.

Yeah, definitely not traditional parking, but it'll show them the skills needed. Thanks for all your tips / insight. ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would be of the opinion that you should practice the push pull method of steering, but so long as your steering is controlled you will be okay I would think. (I'm not an instructor however! So this is not gospel!).

Also, there's no issue with deciding to do an Auto test on the day, except for finding a car to do the test in! You're going to have to book an instructors car to do the test if you do not have your own. I know you're going to aim for the manual test, but I would be reluctant to do an auto only test in this country, so even if you're not too sure after 12 lessons, just give it more time!

best of luck! :)

I would be of the opinion that you should practice the push pull method of steering, but so long as your steering is controlled you will be okay I would think. (I'm not an instructor however! So this is not gospel!).

Also, there's no issue with deciding to do an Auto test on the day, except for finding a car to do the test in! You're going to have to book an instructors car to do the test if you do not have your own. I know you're going to aim for the manual test, but I would be reluctant to do an auto only test in this country, so even if you're not too sure after 12 lessons, just give it more time!

best of luck! :)

Thanks Alan :) I hope the clutch control will be manageable! I've only experienced it in gaming... :P Doubt it's similar though.

One more question added to original post... Just looked around at cars and noticed there are options for a "semi-automatic" gearbox. Do I need a manual driving license to drive these cars? Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

One more question added to original post... Just looked around at cars and noticed there are options for a "semi-automatic" gearbox. Do I need a manual driving license to drive these cars? Thanks

Semi automatic would generally be an automatic gearbox that allows manual control(simply speaking...). But so long as there is no clutch pedal, you can drive these cars with an auto licence.

• Advertisement

Semi automatic would generally be an automatic gearbox that allows manual control(simply speaking...). But so long as there is no clutch pedal, you can drive these cars with an auto licence.

Thanks a mil! Glad to know that semi-automatic engines are available to choose from if I really can't get the manual license... Seems like auto engines are really limited and more expensive by quite a bit.

Thanks a mil! Glad to know that semi-automatic engines are available to choose from if I really can't get the manual license... Seems like auto engines are really limited and more expensive by quite a bit.

Really? Where have you been looking...on line or in actual garages? I went shopping for an automatic car, back in the spring of 2012. I wasn't mega picky on makes or models, but my preference was for a used Toyota, Honda, Renault or Ford that didn't have a crazy amount of miles on it. I found a 2007 Focus that we well within my budget on carzone.ie, but I had dozens of other makes and models to choose from too.

Granted, I am in Dublin, so I had the inventory of hundreds of garages at my disposal. It may have been harder to find the right automatic car for me, if I was in a small town. I don't remember there being a significant price difference between the automatic and the manual varieties. I really hope that hasn't changed, as I'll be in the market again for another automatic car in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

In regards to steering. I still use the push-pull method to steer. What keeps me doing it is seeing a airbag go off - its an explosion in your face with huge force, if you have your arms crossing over the steering wheel and it goes off you will have a very bad day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit 2: Do I need the manual license to drive a semi-automatic transmission, clutch-less car?

Hi,

Do you by any chance hold an Ontario driving licence, if so :-
    Ireland agrees driving licence exchange deal with Ontario

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe today welcomed the beginning of an agreement which allows for the mutual exchange of driving licences between Ireland and the Canadian province of Ontario.

The agreement provides that the holder of a full Irish driving licence can automatically exchange this licence for an Ontario licence if they are resident in the province of Ontario.

The reverse will apply also where the holder of a valid Ontario licence, resident in this country, can exchange their licence for an Irish driving licence without the need to undergo a driving test.

Advertisement