Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 Diesel or 1.9 Diesel

Options
  • 20-10-2014 10:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

Hi,

Will be working in new location, and so going changing car . Doing about 100miles per day.

Want to spend no more than 5k. looking at something like an audi, or similar diesel car.

Just wondering , would it be more economical get a 1.6 Diesel, or a 1.9 Diesel, taking tax etc into account?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alan_007_

BattyJoe wrote: »
    Hi,

Will be working in new location, and so going changing car . Doing about 100miles per day.

Want to spend no more than 5k. looking at something like an audi, or similar diesel car.

Just wondering , would it be more economical get a 1.6 Diesel, or a 1.9 Diesel, taking tax etc into account?

thanks
    At a guess, I'd say the 1.6 would be more economical, but this depends on a number of factors.
    Firstly, what makes and models of each cars would you be considering for each engine? I'm assuming since you're talking about an Audi, you'd be looking at a VAG 1.9 diesel? Since you don't want to spend more than 5k, I think for a 1.6 diesel you'd be looking at cars such as a focus or peugeot 307/407 with the PSA 1.6 TDCI/HDI engine. Therefore you may want to look up the possible maintenance costs of both of these cars, as that 1.6 engine in them doesn't seem to have the greatest reputation with regards to reliability. (Can't comment on either myself though, haven't owned either....yet :pac:)
    Apart from this, the only thing you can do is research the MPG figures and calculate your expected fuel costs, tax costs (€678 for the 1.9 vs €514 for the 1.6 IIRC) and insurance costs, add them all together and see which one comes out cheapest for you.
    Of course, you should also drive both and see which one you think you'd prefer to live with, and if it's the more expensive option, see if it justifies paying more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

BattyJoe wrote: »
    Hi,

thanks

Plenty of variables such as type of car, motorway or national roads, want or need for power etc

On a side note I average 800 miles a week in a petrol Mercedes, non lpg'd ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Basically if you want something diesel and vag ie vw Audi with a budget of 5k euro your going to be buying a 1.9tdi. The 1.6tdi volkswagen group engine didn't come out till 2010 so your not going to buy any car with that engine in it for 5k euro.

The main 1.6 diesel engine that would fall into your budget would be the 1.6 Psa peugoet unit. This engine is in the focus 2005 onwards, volvo s40, c-max, all peugoet citreon stuff from around 2005 to name only a few. I'd personally take the vw 1.9tdi engine every time over the 1.9tdi more reliable. Hope this helps if you give specific cars you are thinking about then it would be easier to guage which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

100 miles a day , so i assume you are mostly driving on motorways. It is probably just me, but for some reason i think 1.6 is better for city drive , and 1.9 for motorways. Was driving both . My ex-wifes polo 1.6 ( 2010 car ) is absolutely perfect for sitting in traffic, and and move around city. Myself driving 1.9 tdi passat ( '01 ) , and found that it is very economical on motorways , in city still have 8-9 l/100km. for 5k youd get descent diesel audi a4 or audi a6.

The 1.9 VAG TDI engine is as rough and noisy as hell, but a very good engine but I couldn't drive one again.

For comfort I'd opt for the smoother PSA 1.6. They are economical and my sisters 2008 308 90 hp HDI averages 58 mpg, and she doesn't reset the computer either so it's a very good indication as to what that engine does. I still think they are too rough for me though but better than the old VAG 1.9 TDI .

A girl in work bought a mazda 3 2010 110 hp 1.6 HDI and the average on the trip computer is 4.6 L/100 Kms, this is from the previous buyer. This is 61 mpg and nearly as good as my 07 Prius.

On that note the Prius is a 1.5 and cheaper to tax than both 1.6 and 1.9 Diesels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bigroad

Is there not the kia ceed in 1.6d also the astra 1.7cdti is worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

bigroad wrote: »
    Is there not the kia ceed in 1.6d also the astra 1.7cdti is worth a look.

+1 on these two good suggestions there. I'd take either over anything with a 1.6psa.

Advertisement