Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stiff gears, Renault Trafic

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭

I've a 07 Renault traffic dci 115 ,about 120k miles on the clock ....
    Anyway Saturday morning going to work the box the gears were stiff out, all of them .. Fine when in gear ,but just a lot of resistance going into and out of gear .... Any ideas what's the problem ??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does it get better as car reach operational temperature?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Check the clutch, and gearbox oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

biko wrote: »

Unfortunately no (or maybe fortunately ) . Stiff out the whole time .
    Just took the leather cover thing off the gear lever and sprayed everything I could get at with wd. 40 . Meh. Negligible difference ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Could be a few things. What comes to mind immediately is transmission oil being in need of replacement, though that would usually be a gradual onset. Another good candidate is wear in the shift linkage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

biko wrote: »

actuall i've notice this with my new civic diesel- the gear change gets more fluid as the car warms up

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    Could be a few things. What comes to mind immediately is transmission oil being in need of replacement, though that would usually be a gradual onset. Another good candidate is wear in the shift linkage.

Well the gearbox oil was replaced about 20 k miles ago , (concentric slave clutch cylinder went,so clutch was done as well , and oil replaced )
    Yeah kind of hoping it's just the linkage ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

The linkages do give trouble, often the nylon bush cups that pop onto the gearbox selector arms wear and you'll struggle to get a positive engagement. Get a mate to try and put the car into various gears and observe the shifter cables at the box, any free play between shifter cable cup and selector arm will cause this problem. Not sure if there's a repair kit available, ive only ever replaced the cables as a set. This would be the firts thing to check before moving nto bearings and synchrohub assemblies within the box, (which would necessitate gearbox remoal and stripdown)

Thanks lads, the thought of taking the gearbox out (again) giving me the shudders .... :-)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement