Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about tri gear

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any difference between the material in a normal two piece trisuit top and that in a standard running singlet? Tighter/looser, lighter/thicker etc etc?

Also, anyone any experience with Shadowbrand gear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RayCun wrote: »
    Is there any difference between the material in a normal two piece trisuit top and that in a standard running singlet? Tighter/looser, lighter/thicker etc etc?

Yes, a good tri suit does not absorb much water and is more hydrodynamic, it will be skin tight too
    Also, anyone any experience with Shadowbrand gear?

No experience of them however I know that they are an Irish company based in the midlands that supplied TI a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

As Tunney says plus you will generally get pockets in the tri top at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think we have him lads, it all starts with a simple tri question:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think boards limits the number of :pac:s you can add to a post ;)

apparently they do running gear too, and someone in the club has proposed that we use them as a supplier. I'm wondering if they are producing running-specific gear or tri-suit tops called running tops (because it looks like all their customers at the moment are tri clubs), and what the quality is like

Its primarily a tri brand in so far as sponsoring TI for a season or two and the owner was involved in triathlon. Quality seems to be fine, Mrs AKW has a few bits of the TI stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Big difference in the materials for Tri vs. running. Imagine putting a wicking top into a bucket of water and how heavy it would get... Trisuit will mostly repel the water.

You should buy both tops and test them in water. You'll need to buy a wetsuit too for a proper comparison. And then also check which one dries quickest on your bike. And then buy a better bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

According to their website they do athletics specific kit. Sure they'd send you a sample? Spin11 did running singlets and running tees for Pulse (assume it was spin11)

According to their website they do athletics specific kit. Sure they'd send you a sample? Spin11 did running singlets and running tees for Pulse (assume it was spin11)

Yeah, supposed to be sending out samples. I've heard mixed reviews.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Big difference in the materials for Tri vs. running. Imagine putting a wicking top into a bucket of water and how heavy it would get... Trisuit will mostly repel the water.

So, a closer weave? thicker material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Much closer weave, a totally different material (much thinner than any running top I've ever had). Have to swim in the trisuit, so it'd be useless if it held much water. Think stretchy running tights.

• Advertisement

I think boards limits the number of :pac:s you can add to a post ;)

apparently they do running gear too, and someone in the club has proposed that we use them as a supplier. I'm wondering if they are producing running-specific gear or tri-suit tops called running tops (because it looks like all their customers at the moment are tri clubs), and what the quality is like

If they are not running specific then no - runners won't like them.

I have tri tops and running club tops. Just like I would never do a tri in a running club top I refuse to do a running event in a tri top. Either you haven't got the physique to pull off a tri top you look fat, or you do and you look like a twat.

PM me you address and I will post you an old IRL tri top

thanks, PM sent

Running tops are generally wicking materials whereas tri tops are the real expensive fancy dancy hydrophobic materials that get wet but do not absorb moisture. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Did DCM a few years ago in my club tri top purely because the pockets are an extremely convenient way to carry gels, no messing with belts and no bouncing at all. Got caught by the rte cameras crossing the line. Despite running a PB, the only question i was ever asked was why did i wear that top...

Advertisement