Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega chronometer off by 10 minutes per day

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

A relative has a 2 year old Seamaster that is now running 10 whole minutes per day fast. It was COSC-certified so one would expect better than this.

Question is, what is reasonable after just over two years and how would one approach Omega in Dublin to get a goodwill service?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ten minutes a day is well out of order FB. Something is very wrong there. Can they take it back to the dealer they bought it from? If not I would imagine bringing it and the papers/receipt to an official agent should start the process going.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ten minutes a day is well out of order FB. Something is very wrong there. Can they take it back to the dealer they bought it from? If not I would imagine bringing it and the papers/receipt to an official agent should start the process going.

If it's two years old then I assume it's a coaxial movement which if bought from an AD will mean a 4 year warranty (I think). Bring it back to the AD and they will get it sorted.

Edit. Just noticed you said a chronometer. Don't think that model has the coaxial movement which means only a two year warranty. The watch may not need a service but only needs regulation. Of it's out of warranty I would nearly forget the AD and use Emily at watchrepairs.ie.

I need to send my own to her. Nearly ten years and never serviced but still running within Cosc. Sadly with how omega are tightening their supply chain regarding replacement parts the independents will no longer be able to service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

...now running 10 whole minutes per day fast.

Did it suddenly go from keeping good time to being this far off?

?magnetised

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭FamousBelgian

Zagato wrote: »
    Did it suddenly go from keeping good time to being this far off?

?magnetised

Magnetisation also came to my mind. Hard to know what other than a powerful speaker magnet could do this.
    As far as I heard the timekeeping wasn't stellar and was already up to a couple of minutes per week within a year. Now I'm told that it's 15 minutes per day and that's after a couple of days on the winder.
    It's not my watch and I've only seen it once and don't know what the paperwork says. I'm doing someone a favour so I'll ring Weirs to find out the story (they're the only Omega dealer left in Dublin, it seems. Watch was bought in BT I think). I would think that if it's out of warranty that at least it would get looked at and if there's no evidence of magnetisation or misuse then it would be returned to COSC specs for free.

Advertisement