Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cook stew for next day

Options
  • 19-10-2014 8:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to cook an Irish Lamb stew for dinner tomorrow & Tues (just for me). Is it best just to cook the lamb in the stock tonight & leave the veg & potatoes until tomorrow? I need to do it tonight as I don't have enough time to cook from scratch tomorrow night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hello you! :)
    Just cook the whole thing tonight. As you will only be reheating tomorrow & Tuesday, the veg shouldn't get overlooked. By adding the veg from the start they will have more time to absorb all the flavours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Hello you! :)
    Just cook the whole thing tonight. As you will only be reheating tomorrow & Tuesday, the veg shouldn't get overlooked. By adding the veg from the start they will have more time to absorb all the flavours.

Hiya!!
    ok, thanks for the advice. I don't frequent this board too much as I am not a fan of cooking! lol

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Hiya!!
    ok, thanks for the advice. I don't frequent this board too much as I am not a fan of cooking! lol
    Banned! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Banned! :pac:

I pop in very seldom to ask stupid questions..

Like this follow on one...

Do I leave the potatoes until tomorrow or throw in now?

Chuck them in for the last 30 mins of cooking tonight.
    They'll be properly done after you reheat tomorrow.

• Advertisement

great, thanks a mill! I might be back...I'm sure I could do with a lot more help in the future! lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd just cook it normally and reheat tomorrow.
    Stew is always better the next day anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

and even better the day after that.

If I was let I'd keep a pot on the cooker the whole time topping it up with bits and pieces of veg and meat every day, on a low simmer.

thanks!! I had my first batch just now and it was yum (if I do say so myself!). I want more now, but I have to leave some for tomorrow night! I should have made a bigger pot! Luckily my husband hates stew, so I get to have it all to myself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I do meat, stock, onions and herbs on the slow bubble for an hour or so and throw in the veg for the last half hour. Turn the lot off and leave in the oven until the next day. Do the spuds while reheating and serve :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement