Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI PD engine oil

Options
  • 19-10-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I picked up a 2008 golf 1.9 tdi (engine code BXE) last month and I'm looking into changing the oil. I'm in between using 507 (Quantum LongLife 3) or 505.01 (Quantum Platinum). I don't plan on leaving the oil in for 10k, it will likely be around 7k that I'll do the change. I understand 507 is for longlife and 505.01 is for fixed servicing. Since there isn't much price difference in the oil, which one is best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I'd be using the 507 spec that's whats recommended for them. I have the same car with a bxe engine too and use quantum long life 3.

507 is ultimately a higher spec better oil than 505.01.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Go for the better oil - the bxe engine is known for throwing a rod through the block so to minimise the likelihood of this happening use the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

+1 on the Quantum Long life 504.507 spec. I use it on the wifes 09 Octavia. Can get it quite cheaply too at the VAG Dealers, especially if you buy the 20 Litre one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Use whatever specification is listed in the owner's manual, and change it when the service schedule tells you to. It's that simple. If the car is fitted with a DPF, you can't use 505.01 as the ash content is too high and it'll kill the DPF.

Advertisement