Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fancy a corpse with your milkshake?

Options
  • 19-10-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Could never see this taking off in Ireland. Drive-thru-pay-your respects to the dead! ;)
    The Telegraph

Whether it's getting food, a cup of coffee, or making a cash withdrawal, you can get a lot of things without leaving the comfort of your car.

That now includes paying your final respects in a drive-thru window.

A new service has opened in Saginaw, Michigan called "Drive-thru viewing" at Ivan Phillips' Funeral Home.

"As you enter into the drive-thru, you're going to see a memorial box where you can drop a memorial card or a monetary contribution," Ivan Phillips, President, Paradise Funeral Chapel says.

"Once you push the button, the register box will open up. At that time, you may sign your name in the register book. Then, you proceed forward.

"And when you proceed forward, the curtains will draw back and you may pay your respects to the loved one for three minutes from the privacy of your vehicle."

He adds, "I didn't just want something that anyone off the streets can walk up and view. We still have to respect the family and their deceased loved one."

The curtains open only when sensors underneath the pavement recognise the weight of a vehicle.

How would you like to be buried? 18 votes

Cremated. Burn, baby, burn! Disco Inferno!
    0% 0 votes
    Throw me into the ground with the rest of them.
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

As Meatloaf says "is nothing sacred anymore"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If you cant bother your hole getting out of your car and going inside it's not really paying your 'respects' though is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

USA - the biggest open air asylum in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

If you really need to do a McDonalds version of paying your respects you should probably just stay at home and let the people who really cared have some private time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

®McRespects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Who do you tell 'sure isn't s/he the picture of him/herself?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

This is a necessary service, especially in the US where a lot of people are afraid to be in open spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Who do you tell 'sure isn't s/he the picture of him/herself?'

They'll probably leave a recorded message on a dictaphone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I want to be wrapped in a buffalo skin and placed up on top of a scaffold like the american Indians.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I want to be wrapped in a buffalo skin and placed up on top of a scaffold like the american Indians.

Mmm. Warm and cosy.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

you left out the bit that comes after, having your bones picked clean by the buzzards....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Burial for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I think graveyards are a waste of space and getting very expensive, maybe have a memorial park where people can spread ashes would be a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

wexie wrote: »
    you left out the bit that comes after, having your bones picked clean by the buzzards....

But you are dead so what difference would it make to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ever consider cryogenics, aka freezing your body until a cure for whatever illness you have could be found?

branie2 wrote: »
    Ever consider cryogenics, aka freezing your body until a cure for whatever illness you have could be found?

One lifetime on this earth is more than enough time for me!

I think graveyards are a waste of space and getting very expensive, maybe have a memorial park where people can spread ashes would be a better solution.

You mean like the Wicklow mountains?

branie2 wrote: »

That only works for illnesses though, I don't think there will ever be a cure for being flattened by a bus.

Although it could be worth a try, you'd probably get a discount for taking up less space in the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I want to be left as food for the carrion after a great battle that folk will remember for an era. Or just fúck me into the sea, whatever I'll be dead, it's hardly gonna bother me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Or people are too fat to get out of their cars..

:confused:

if they're too fat to get OUT of their cars.....

how did they get INTO their cars?

Did they stay in the car so long and ate so much they got too fat to leave the car??

I'm confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

They turned down the radio, obviously! Duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

wexie wrote: »
    :confused:

if they're too fat to get OUT of their cars.....

how did they get INTO their cars?

Did they stay in the car so long and ate so much they got too fat to leave the car??

I'm confused

I think the car is manufactured around them.

I think the whole viewing of bodies is creepy anyway. Morticians should just remove the head and have it on display. Would save a lot of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

There's no mention of milkshakes in that article!

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There's no mention of milkshakes in that article!

Chocolate Sunday with your deceased mother in law? That'll be $3 sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I hear they're doing a delivery service too. Why travel when the body can be brought to you? It's free if it arrives cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Everything included, is there much of a difference cost wise? I'd imagine both are quite expensive, but I genuinely wouldn't have the first idea of how much a coffin/plot/cremation costs!

Advertisement