Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tapping a keg of beer

Options
  • 19-10-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

In these modern times, should the first pint out of a new barrel be thrown down the sink or can it be served up.

Also what about last pint out of a barrel.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's all the same liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's all the same liquid.

but not all the same taste!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The only things that'll affect the taste from one pint to the next are the lines and glass, and how old the beer is.

No one likes the first pint out of a barrell if nothing has been drawn off first.

Had to give a few back meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

danjo-xx wrote: »
    No one likes the first pint out of a barrell if nothing has been drawn off first.

Had to give a few back meself.

What is your query?

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    What is your query?

Last night a keg was changed and barman came back to tap and filled my glass with a hugh head of froth in the glass and kept pouring and tipping out the foam till got a normal head and then served it up to me.

That can't be right. Would you accept a pint that was speed poured like this.

My query is as stated.

Can drink from a new barrel be served straight away to customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Duncan31

Sounds normal enough. He has to waste a pint or two in froth before a proper point can be got.
    By the sounds of things, you got a proper looking pint not a load of froth. He could have used a fresh glass once he got the tap in working order though.

Duncan31 wrote: »
    Sounds normal enough. He has to waste a pint or two in froth before a proper point can be got.
    By the sounds of things, you got a proper looking pint not a load of froth. He could have used a fresh glass once he got the tap in working order though.

There's my point, the tap was got in working order at my expense, ie poor pint.

Barman thought I was out of sight, and yes I know I shouldn't have accepted it in the first place.

anyway no worries, no one dead or injured this time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Last night a keg was changed and barman came back to tap and filled my glass with a hugh head of froth in the glass and kept pouring and tipping out the foam till got a normal head and then served it up to me.

I've had pints of O'Hara's IPA in my local served to me in this way from a new keg and they tasted great, lovely and fresh if anything.

Your brain, eyes and thoughts play a bigger part in how a drink tastes than you think it should. I wonder if you hadn't seen it poured would the pint have tasted suspect?

Or am I thinking it tastes great because it's a fresh keg and the foamy overspill doesn't bother me?

Perhaps a blind person's taste buds the only truly accurate ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

but not all the same taste!

Line cleaner possibly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Duncan31 wrote: »

That means the fob isn't working in the cellar, a functional one will stop the flow of beer once the keg is empty, which then allows the bartender to tap a new keg and start pouring immediately without bringing a load of air into the line. Once the froth calms down the pint will still taste the same. As the Beer Nut says, it's all the same liquid.

Advertisement