Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor incidents in your past that still affect you.

Options
  • 19-10-2014 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

I went to a Christian Brothers primary school back in the day. When I was about 9yo we were writing Christmas cards in class. When the brother looked at mine he was angry and told me I had commited a sin. I was confused/upset and had no idea what he was going on about. He told me too look at the card again and think about what I'd written. All I'd written was "merry xmas mam". I was still confused so he tells me I had insulted God by using an x instead of his full name. On his birthday of all days. To this day, everytime I write xmas I hesitate. My logical mind won't let me give in to that nonsense, but I still hesitate and have to block out an irrational feeling of guilt.

While writing this it occured to me I'm lucky that's the only hang up I aquired from atending a CB school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He was right, you heathen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I went to a Christian Brothers primary school back in the day. When I was about 9yo we were writing Christmas cards in class. When the brother looked at mine he was angry and told me I had commited a sin. I was confused/upset and had no idea what he was going on about. He told me too look at the card again and think about what I'd written. All I'd written was "merry xmas mam". I was still confused so he tells me I had insulted God by using an x instead of his full name. On his birthday of all days. To this day, everytime I write xmas I hesitate. My logical mind won't let me give in to that nonsense, but I still hesitate and have to block out an irrational feeling of guilt.

While writing this it occured to me I'm lucky that's the only hang up I aquired from atending a CB school.

Xmas has always been an accepted alternative spelling of Christmas. X in the Greek alphabet denotes Christ. Your CB teacher was ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Xmas has always been an accepted alternative spelling of Christmas. X in the Greek alphabet denotes Christ. Your CB teacher was ignorant.

You learn something new every day, I didn't know that. I thought it was just shorthand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

xmas originated by christians - the x is to represent christ. Greek alphabet.

^ I see TOD got there first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I was only 9 years old. I loved Shrek so much, I had all the merchandise and movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

X as all us playstationers know is a cross, x = cross, Christ died on the cross, cross is the symbol of christ yada yada yada...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

So all along the X-files were actually the Christ-files.. Creepy.

There's so many now that I think of it.

Christ marks the spot
    Christ-men
    The Christ factor
    Christ-Ray
    Christzibit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

It was just a normal day, I was around watching everybody as usual and some little prick insulted me by shortening my name to x. :( It still affects me.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

X almighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Christ Christ Christ movies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I took my melodeon to a famous musician to be taught how to play it and he called me a fcuking stupid eejit because it was in the wrong key. I was five years old.

I'm a lot older now, and yer man is still a bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

sparrowcar wrote: »
    So all along the X-files were actually the Christ-files.. Creepy.

There's so many now that I think of it.

Christ marks the spot
    Christ-men
    The Christ factor
    Christ-Ray
    Christzibit
    Christ girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I was still confused so he tells me I had insulted God by using an x instead of his full name.

The Brother was quite right to pick you up on this.

The correct way to write it is "Merry Jesus H Christmas".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Being followed around the playground in school by a group of 6th class girls (i would have been in senior infants) pinching me, pulling my hair and calling me names. Sounds fairly uninteresting for the school playground, but I'll never forget it because it was the first time I realised that people could be a**holes for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

the Exact same thing happened me . i thought he was having a fit or choking on something .

i just don't get old cnuts getting off on bullying young kids . i'd love to bump into him now but he is long dead . no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

the Exact same thing happened me . i thought he was having a fit or choking on something .

i just don't get old cnuts getting off on bullying young kids . i'd love to bump into him now but he is long dead . no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

All these years and I never knew that. Thanks Doc, I think you may have cured my guilt :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Watching Bosco

Advertisement